26 || Uncertain demands

Arabella

The morning felt unusually brisk as I hurried across campus, the autumn air and nipping at my cheeks and the leaves crunching softly underfoot.

Today, Jace and I had different classes, which meant navigating the morning alone. I felt his absence more keenly than I expected, a low hum of anxiety buzzing at the edges of my consciousness as I walked the familiar path to my locker.

Arriving at the locker, I spun the combination and pulled open the door, my mind preoccupied with the looming sociology exam. However, my thoughts screeched to a halt when I saw it—a folded piece of paper, stark against the textbooks and notebooks. My name was scribbled across the front in an unrecognizable hand.

With a hesitant tug, I pulled the note free and unfolded it, the paper feeling ominously heavy in my hands. The message inside was brief but jarring:

Push him away or else.

The letters were cut out from various magazines, creating a ransom note effect that sent a shiver racing down my spine.

My heart pounded loudly in my chest, the words echoing ominously. Push Jace away? Why? Who would write such a thing, and for what purpose? Confusion swirled through me, mixed with a rising tide of fear. I scanned the area instinctively, but the hallway was bustling with students, none of whom seemed to pay any attention to me.

Folding the note and tucking it into the back of my sociology textbook, I shut my locker with a clang that sounded louder than usual in my ears. The rest of my way to class was a blur; my thoughts were a tangled mess, struggling to make sense of the message.

The familiar faces in my class did nothing to soothe the unease that had lodged itself firmly in my stomach.

By the time class ended, I had managed to convince myself of a dozen different scenarios, each more unsettling than the last. My feet carried me mechanically to the café where I was supposed to meet Jace and our friends for lunch.

The familiar smell of coffee and the sound of light chatter usually comforted me, but today they felt distant, muffled by the storm of my thoughts.

I spotted Jace immediately, his head thrown back in laughter at something Kayden had said. The sight of him, so carefree and happy, tightened the knot in my stomach. How could I even consider pushing him away, especially with no reason why?

"Bella, over here!" Sophia called, waving me over.

I forced a smile and navigated through the tables to join them. Jace's eyes met mine, bright with affection. "Hey, you okay?" he asked as I sat down, his brow creasing slightly with concern.

"Yeah, just tired," I lied, sliding into the seat beside him. I couldn't bring myself to mention the note, not here, not now. It would cast a shadow over the entire gathering, and I couldn't bear the thought of that.

The conversation flowed around me, but I found myself only half-listening, the note burning a hole in my mind.

Noah was discussing a group project, Kayden was debating the merits of a new game release, and Sophia was excitedly sharing her plans for a weekend hiking trip.

Jace's hand found mine under the table, his thumb rubbing small circles on my skin in a comforting gesture. Normally, such a touch would calm my nerves, but today it only served as a stark reminder of the note's demand.

Lunch passed in a haze. I laughed when it seemed appropriate and nodded along to the stories, but my responses were automatic, disconnected. When the group started packing up, I felt a sense of relief wash over me, tainted by guilt. I hated feeling so distant from them, especially from Jace.

As we all stood to leave, Jace lingered, his gaze searching mine. "Are you sure you're okay? You seem off today," he pressed, his voice low so only I could hear.

I met his eyes, wishing I could confess everything about the note and my fears. But fear held my tongue. "I'm fine, really. Just the exam stress, you know?" I managed a weak smile, hoping it appeared more convincing than it felt.

Jace studied me for a moment longer, his expression unreadable. Finally, he nodded, though his eyes still held a trace of concern. "Okay, if you're sure. Just remember, I'm here if you need to talk, about anything."

I nodded, grateful yet overwhelmed by his support. "Thanks, Jace," I said as we walked out together, my heart heavy with secrets.

The rest of the day was a struggle to maintain normalcy. I couldn't focus on my studies, and the hours dragged on. When I finally returned to my dorm room, I took out the note again, studying it as though it might reveal more than the threatening words scrawled across it.

Who would want me to push Jace away? Was it someone who knew us? Someone jealous, or something more sinister? My mind raced through possibilities, each more frightening than the last. And underlying it all was the unspoken question: what could happen if I didn't comply?

The note offered no answers, just a silent demand echoing through the increasingly suffocating walls of my room. I knew I couldn't ignore it, but the thought of bringing it up, of admitting this fear and possibly watching the worry cloud Jace's face, kept me silent.

Sleep was elusive that night, the shadows in my room seeming to whisper secrets just beyond my understanding. Tomorrow, I promised myself, I would find the courage to speak up. Tomorrow, I would figure this out.

But as dawn broke, painting my room in shades of gray, the note by my bedside felt heavier than ever, its message a foreboding whisper in the quiet morning light. Pushing Jace away was unthinkable, yet the threat loomed large and ominous, like a storm on the horizon, ready to break.

 Pushing Jace away was unthinkable, yet the threat loomed large and ominous, like a storm on the horizon, ready to break

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
B E L L A || ✔️✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें