33 || Regret

ARABELLA

My breath clouded in the chill night air as I hurried along the familiar path back to the dorms, my heart still pounding from the confrontation with Jace. Each step felt heavier than the last, laden with the weight of my decision. I was alone now, by choice, yet the silence around me seemed oppressive, unnerving.

As I walked back to the dorms, the chill of the night air bit into my skin, echoing the cold uncertainty that gnawed at my heart. Every step took me further away from Jace, from the harsh words and the heartbreak, yet no distance seemed enough to quell the storm of emotions within me. With each moment that passed, my mind replayed our argument, each replay sharpening the sting of regret.

The quiet of the night was a stark contrast to the turmoil inside me. The more I walked, the more my initial resolve began to waver. Had I been too harsh? The memory of Jace's hurt expression haunted me, his eyes filled with confusion and pain—pain that I had caused. I stopped mid-step, a deep sigh escaping me as I wrapped my arms around myself, seeking comfort where none could be found.

Maybe I should go back. The thought surfaced amidst the whirlwind of doubts like a beacon. I could apologize, explain everything from the beginning. The real threat, the fear for his safety—everything I had held back to protect him. I knew it was a risk, but as the silence of the night pressed in on me, the isolation of my decision weighed heavier than I'd anticipated.

Turning slightly, I considered the path back. It wasn't just about correcting what I had said or soothing the ache in my heart. It was about honesty, about trusting Jace with the truth, regardless of the consequences. After all, hadn't he deserved that much? Hadn't he earned that right after everything we had shared?

I took out my phone, the screen's glow a harsh contrast in the dark. Hovering over the call button, my thumb hesitated. Fear mingled with hope, a tumultuous mix that left me momentarily breathless. Telling Jace everything meant tearing down walls I had built meticulously over time for our protection. But what if those walls were just cages? What if the key to our salvation was not isolation but unity, trust, and shared strength?

I put my phone away.

The shadows stretched long and ominous across the pavement, distorting as the sparse streetlights flickered overhead.

 I pulled my jacket tighter around me, trying to shake off the chill that had settled deep in my bones—not just from the cold, but from the growing sense of unease.

 I tried to convince myself it was just the aftermath of the emotional storm I had just weathered with Jace, but something in my gut told me it was more.

As I quickened my pace, a soft hum of an engine drew my attention. It seemed distant at first, nothing unusual for this hour on a campus road, but it persisted, growing steadily louder, closer. 

A prickling sensation crawled up my spine as I realized that the vehicle was matching my pace. I glanced over my shoulder, trying to look casual, and saw the dim outline of a car creeping along behind me.

Panic gripped me, tightening its hold with each beat of my heart. I reached for my phone, fumbling slightly as I dialed Jace. 

The phone rang once, twice, then—

"Bella, I-" be began.

"Jace, someone is following me," I whispered urgently into the phone, my voice trembling as I kept moving. "I'm not sure who—it's a dark van, just behind me."

"Where are you? I'm coming right now, Bella, just stay on the line," Jace's voice was tense, filled with immediate concern and fear.

I quickened my pace, nearly running now, my breath shallow. "I'm almost to the—"

Before I could finish, the van accelerated, overtaking me abruptly. My heart leapt into my throat as it screeched to a stop right ahead of me. The back doors flew open, and two figures clad in dark clothing jumped out. I turned to run, but it was too late.

As I spun around, a rough hand grabbed my arm, pulling me back. A cloth drenched in chemicals clamped over my mouth and nose. The sharp, acrid smell of chloroform invaded my senses, and a cold dread washed over me. My phone slipped from my hand, clattering to the ground, Jace's voice calling out my name from the speaker.

My vision began to blur at the edges, the figures in front of me turning into indistinct shadows as darkness crept into my field of view. I tried to fight, to scream, but my body wouldn't cooperate; it felt heavy and distant. As my knees buckled, the last thing I heard was the sound of the car doors slamming shut and the vehicle speeding off, carrying me into the night.

Somewhere in the haze of consciousness slipping away, I heard Jace's voice, distant and desperate, echoing the terror I felt. "Bella? Bella! Can you hear me? Stay with me!"

Then everything went black.

 SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER

WE ARE NEARLY FINISHED GUYS.

PROBABLY ANOTHER 7 OR 8 chapters.

MAYBE ILL MAKE IT 10.

ANYWAY THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS ARE.... WOOOOOO