PART XLVIII

Floot walked to the other end of the roof; there was a small raised platform there of square shape, he went ahead and stood over it.

He clasped his hands together in a prayer, his lips moving  subtly as he chanted. The white, dove-like wings hanging behind him became luminescent like the moon, and the halo over his head started to glow brighter, showering yellow specks of light like fireflies scattering all over in the breezy night.

When he opened his eyes, his pupils had vanished. The glassy white of his eyes had been kindled with heavenly flames. Waving his arms toward the centre of the roof ceiling with a flourish, he made patterns in the air that Tifa recognised to be divine and holy. He was literally spelling out complex words and divine spells through swift gestures, swishing all the sparkling yellow dust toward himself. The litany he exhibited, it was of the highest order, something that only came with years of perfect practice.

Tifa wished even she could be so powerful in magic. She clenched her fist and set that as a goal in her head, her eyes wide with excitement.

Responding to his invocations, the overlapping boxes and slabs of stone started to unfold in the ceiling at the centre, their borders glimmering with magical light. All of them moved to the side, revealing a deep conical recess. It was softly tainted orange, the taint becoming brighter as the depth got uncovered.

In the end of the recess was glossy stone, lit up in flames. It levitated out of the recess and floated into Floot's hands, hovering above his palm.

With the other hand, he did more gestures at the ceiling and finally closed his fist, reverting the ceiling to how it was before.

The stone hovering above his palm, he ambled back to the Gargoyle Lord.

The Gargoyle Lord levitated the stone to his palm with a swish of his hand. When the flaming stone came over his hand, metal formed around it out of thin air and embedded it in a sphere. The sphere fell on his palm and he held it out to Lord Veer.

"You will need this to open the way to the underworld Valley of Might, that is where the final trial awaits all of you." He said, handing over the sphere.

"And where can we find this underworld Valley of Might?" Lord Veer asked, taking the sphere in his hands.

The Gargoyle Lord held out his other palm and a folded scroll materialised over it. "This will guide you."

"Thank you." Lord Veer thanked him.

"You're most welcome." He bowed his head gently. "You will need more than that I'm afraid, to complete this quest. There is too much at stake here, so allow me to aid you in my own ways. Ethiel Archer, step forward." He looked at Ethiel.

Ethiel stepped forward to him. He looked so small near the Gargoyle Lord, and frail too, just like when he stood near Lord Veer, having to tilt his head up to see their faces. But near the massive figure of the Gargoyle Lord, he looked like a child standing near an adult.

"You are strong, you are sharp, and you are fast." The Gargoyle Lord praised and clasped his claws together. In the crease between his claws, a light formed. He pulled his hands apart slowly, between them, blinding light shaping into an arrow of unique, wavy shape. He held it out to him. "This cannot harm Rak Sharas since he has asked for immunity against magic, however, this can take down great enemies. When the time comes, this arrow shall appear in your hands itself, when it chooses who it wants to be shot at. This is an arrow forged by the might of Hezwond."

Ethiel took the arrow and looked at it.

Tifa craned her neck forward to sneak a peek. It looked very fancy, completely made of some strong metal, the head utterly sharp and the body waving and curving brutally as if meant to strike pain into the enemy. In the glow, she saw symbols over it shining brighter.