PART XLVII

The Gargoyle Lord took them through an arch on the side of the hall and into a circular spacey room, its walls rising almost a mile upon opening into a roofed area above. The walls were lined with candle stands lit with blue fire.

At the centre, there was a circular, floating stone platform.

The Gargoyle Lord stepped onto it and turned to them, setting his big broad sword on his back.

After Floot, the angel boy, Tifa hopped on, followed by the others.

Without a word uttered or some gesture made, the stone platform rose through the lines of blue flames, slowly.

Tifa got away from the edge and bumped into the Gargoyle Lord accidentally in doing so. She turned and looked up at him.

He didn't tilt his head down, but he was looking at her with his solemn, orb-like eyes, a wamr smile on his face. He seemed scary... but he didn't feel scary...

"I'm sorry..." She whispered under her breath.

"It is okay. Scared of heights?" He asked.

"Well, not really..." She shuffled her feet.

"I see," his smile became more clear. "Someone who is going to reach great heights is afraid of heights. Don't be. Break past your fear. Fear is nothing but a liar." Suddenly he glanced at Ethiel. "Isn't that right, young boy?"

Ethiel seemed like he knew what he was referring to and he nodded. "It is..."

"I commend you, for your achievement so far." He complimented Ethiel. "It is no ordinary feet."

"Thank you." Ethiel bowed at the waist.

Tifa walked discreetly to Ethiel's side and whispered, "I never knew even Earth had such a magical place — other than the Forest of Temptations."

"There is more to this planet than you know." The Gargoyle Lord had heard her with his tiger-like ears.

"Oh..."

Lord Veer chuckled at her.

She put her finger on her mouth, not intending to say anything anymore lest she'd get into embarrassing situations.

The platform reached up and stopped. It was a vast roof with a ceiling over it, probably the watchtower like structure that was visible from outside since it was at the highest point.

The roof ceiling was made of blocks and slabs of stone overlapped in a sophisticated way, carving all over them. Pillars were all over the place, each having a small lamp of white moon light fire hanging from it.

"You have come for the whereabouts of the final fragment of the Pyramid of Lomeyin, correct?" The Gargoyle Lord stepped out of the platform and onto the marble floor of the roof — it was crystal clear, reflecting everything as if it was real.

"Yes, that is the reason we are here. To know the whereabout and everything related to the final trial." Lord Veer answered, following him as he walked to the edge of the roof.

"Hmm," The Gargoyle Lord turned and faced Ethiel. "Why is it that you seek the Pyramid of Lomeyin?"

That question seemed to be asked only to Ethiel for some reason.

Ethiel remained silent, thinking Lord Veer would answer it, but when Lord Veer looked at him with an eyebrow slightly raised, he realised he had to answer it.

"Oh, uhh," Ethiel was probably arranging his words in his head, "I seek the Pyramid of Lomeyin so I can make wishes; to put an end to Rak Sharas' rule."