PART XIII

Ethiel finished readying himself while informing Lord Veer about the dream.

Lord Veer, who was still in the form of a monkey, folded his arms and squinted. "It seems you just saw Rak Sharas in your nightmare."

"I didn't see any face or anything, just that big monstrous shape and those evil eyes. How come that be him?"

"I know, but the circumstance, the other aspects of the dream, the description, the fear you felt — this is the only suitable conclusion that can be drawn."

"But I only heard of his name, didn't even get to see him or anything."

"That's the surprising part, Ethiel. You didn't hear your mother speak of the mirror either, but you saw it in your dream."

Ethiel’s buts stopped. Lord Veer had a point there. He thought about it for a moment and then asked, "What does this mean?"

"Fate. It is giving you signs. This is a clear indication that it is your destiny to face him. It means you two will come face to face."

Even though it was just a nightmare, Ethiel still wasn't over the fear it had instilled in him. It felt like those eyes were still fixed on him; the scream of his mother was still faintly echoing in his ears; and there was this feeling that there was a hand, somewhere in the corner of his eyes, waiting to grasp him and crush him to dust. The very thought of coming across that cruel, terrifying monster in reality was nerve-wracking. Fear numbed his senses and thoughts. The world around him had become dark, a non-existent fabrication he could no longer feel and was detached from, an illusion.

"Ethiel?" A hand touched his head.

His heart beat again. He breathed life and was plunged back into reality.

He had completely spaced out that he didn't even realise when Lord Veer came and sat on his shoulders.

He looked at him.

"What happened?" Lord Veer asked.

He didn't answer.

"You're breathing heavily."

He just came to notice that himself.

"Are you alright?"

He nodded, closing his eyes and trying to pull himself together.

"Do not worry, everything will be alright. Fate has chosen you for a reason. Trust the heavens."

"I don't know... if I can do this."

"You are the son of Alice. Your mother was one of the bravest in Anigma. I see the same courage and determination in your eyes, you only have to believe in yourself. Everything you need is right in here," Lord Veer touched his heart with his finger.

All that fear abandoned him immediately. He felt within him a courage that he never knew existed. It felt like a divine light had just lit up inside him.

"And remember, I will protect you woth every ounce of strength in my body."

"Thank you." He looked at Lord Veer’s assuring face — it seemed cute too since he was a monkey then.

"Anytime," he smiled. "Now, we should get going."

Ethiel took his bag and proceeded to the door with Lord Veer still on his shoulders. As soon as he opened, he found Tifa standing there.

"What took you so long?" She asked.

"I, uh—"

"Lord Veer?" She looked at Lord Veer.

"How'd you — I couldn’t—"

"She has the makings of a very fine sorcerer." Lord Veer amused.

"Did you have to wake him up? Ethiel you sleepy head!"

"It's not like that—"

On the other side of the mirror, back in Anigma, Maya was waiting for them in her place while also keeping an eye on Red Wings.

"Good morning you two." She greeted them.

"Good morning." Ethiel and Tifa greeted back.

"The freeloaders are back." Red Wings commented.

Maya shook her head, tired of the mean bird.

It turned out that the village woke up hours ago — it was the way of Anigmans — and Lord Veer had already informed them about the passing away of Alice and the identity of Ethiel and Tifa. He had also asked the priests and sorcerers in the village to prepare for the divinity ceremony. Hence, the priests had already kept everything ready for them.

The ceremony was held inside a small shrine; most of the village had gathered for it. A circle had been drawn with a sticky, yellow powder in the centre of the shrine, before the statue of the Divine Spirits. In it were more complicated symbols and patterns. At three points on the perimeter of the circle, glossy stones were kept. Seven priests or maybe sorcerers surrounded the circle, all of them having staff, pot, talisman, beads, or something else in their hands.

First, Ethiel was called and asked to stand in the centre of the circle. The whole experience was new and strange, and to be surrounded by beings other than humans made it stranger. Ethiel felt nervous.

Lord Veer, Tifa, Maya, Mr. Tan and Red Wings were standing away from the circle, in a corner of the shrine, looking at him silently.

The head priest stepped forth and smeared wet ash in the centre of his forehead. He then beamed at him and told him to relax. That calmed him down a bit.

And thus began the ceremony. The priests started to chant. The three stones began to dimly glow as he felt something break free inside him. It felt like a part of his soul had unlocked. That was just the start of it though.

A priest handed him a silver cup filled with twinkling water and asked him to drink it. When he drank it, he felt an energy surge through his veins, an unfelt energy that had always been there.

After further chanting, they gave him another drink in a bowl. It was brown, hot, and thick, and it wasn't tasty but it hit the tongue, striking all his senses. He drank it in one go and when he was done, he felt all his senses sharpen by leaps and bounds. The most noticeable change was the feeling he had in his forehead, between his eyebrows; he first felt a sharp pain there and then it tingled till his paranormal vision enhanced further, enabling him to see the magic more clearly. Not only that but he was able to feel the soul of everyone surrounding him. In the back of his head, knowledge and reflexes that weren't his own got buried. Apparently, the drink had the potions his mother left for him mixed in it — her essence was in it, along with the essence of many other archers, he could just sense it. The change was so overwhelming that his head started to get dizzy.

At that point, the priests started to chant loudly in a melody, making his soul dance to it. His eyes closed as the changes settled inside him. He felt his muscles and bones become stronger. The chanting slowed down and by the time it stopped, the changes had become a part of him and were no longer overwhelming.

"Open your eyes, Ethiel Archer, son of Alice Archer." Said the head priest.

Ethiel opened his eyes.

The priest was standing before him with a very beautiful and mystical necklace. He put the necklace gently around his neck and said loudly, "May the Creator and the Divine Spirits look after you!"

"Hail Prince Ethiel!" Lord Veer exclaimed, smiling his heavenly smile.

The entire village said after him.

With that, the ceremony was complete for Ethiel. Next was Tifa’s turn.