27. Bombing

"Why a bonfire all of a sudden?" Alarion asked, standing beside Viridian in the space behind their palace.

The sun was setting and all the boys and Lyris' friends from the neighbouring packs also turned up. Squad Z decided to set up the bonfire manually and were carrying around logs.

"Your dad thinks it's a good idea to discuss politics." Viridian quipped, raising a hip flask with blood to his mouth.

Alarion gave his dad a sly smile. "You secretly think it's a good idea too."

"Oh would you look at that, my mate's calling me," Viridian clapped his son on the back and made his way over to Lyris.

In the distance he noticed Avyugh talking to a tall and familiar figure. Alarion narrowed his eyes upon realization and clenched his jaw at the werewolf beside his mate.

It was Morekin.

Uncle Jashin's son.

He was the worst according to Alarion, but somehow he tolerated the guy, since he had a soft spot for him ever since his mother passed. Alarion and him had a weird relationship. Sometimes they punched each other and sometimes, they went shoe shopping together.

Morekin flirts with everyone, and even picked up boys and girls to fool around with when he could. Simply put, Alarion and Morekin had a love-hate relationship.

Alarion took a step forward but was held back by Leslie--uncle Kole's son. He too was a werewolf.

"What are you doing here?" Alarion asked, frowning as he looked at the blonde boy.

"Wow, the first thing I hear from you after not seeing you for a million months," Leslie shook his head.

Alarion shrugged.

"I heard there was a bonfire from Klyden, so here I am," Leslie quipped with a grin.

"Where's your brother?" Alarion looked over Leslie's shoulder.

Leslie scoffed.

"He's at the bakery, he said he'd be late, and anyway, I thought you'd be happier to see me," Leslie pushed forward with a hug which Alarion returned awkwardly before pulling away quickly.

"Uh, yeah."

Leslie used to have a crush on Alarion when they were younger. The blonde used to bring Alarion flowers when they used to play after school. It continued till they were in middle school until Alarion harshly rejected the boy. Again.

"I heard you found your mate," Leslie said, looking around nonchalantly.

Alarion caught eyes with Avyugh and silently begged him to come to his rescue.

Avyugh seemed to have caught the gist as he was making his way over with Morekin.

"This is him," Alarion pulled Avyugh close once he was close enough to reach. Avyugh looked up at the vampire with a small smile, his eyes forming crescents and Alarion loved that.

"Oh God I think I'm gonna be sick," Morekin rolled his eyes, dramatically taking a few steps back.

"What are you doing here?" Alarion asked, narrowing his eyes at Morekin.

Morekin was as tall as Alarion, with tan skin and blue eyes that Alarion always found kind of creepy.

"Hello to you too," Morekin rolled his eyes, pulling Alarion into a hug which the latter returned with an annoyed sigh.

"You just disappeared for nine months and I look around and catch you talking to my mate," Alarion instinctively held Avyugh's hand.

"Well, he does look the best among the rest of you," Morekin winked at Avyugh.

Alarion chuckled. "That's right."

Avyugh slapped Alarion's arm with an embarrassed smile. "What? You're really pretty."

Morekin looked at Leslie with an unimpressed look.

"What?" Leslie snapped.

Morekin and Leslie grew up together until middle school when they had a fallout that nobody could figure out why. Now when they looked at each other it was just all glares.

"Nothing, just, you look," Morekin made a gesture with his fingers looking at Leslie up and down. "Like you speak--kind of tactless, kind of irritating, and kind of an illiterate."

Leslie crossed his arms over his chest, breathing through his nose.

He didn't look like the puny kid he used to be. In fact, he looked the very opposite. He looked well-built; much like Morekin. He had porcelain skin with Asian features.

"And the blonde on your hair makes me want to puke," Morekin shook his head.

"That's it." Leslie muttered.

One second Morekin was up and standing and the other, he was on the ground. His white shirt dusty with blood on his lips.

Avyugh was about to intervene but Alarion pulled him back. "I want to see who wins."

Avyugh shot the vampire a look.

"What the fuck dude?" Morekin stood up with a glare and soon enough, the two werewolves were at each other's throats.

They rolled on the ground on top of each other, fighting.

The boys of Squad Z came around.

"That's kinda gay," Miles commented, munching on barbeque.

"I know right," Trey hummed.

"You're going down today motherfucker. I chained myself long enough from killing you," Leslie was on top now, as he raised his fist in the air.

"Oh so you're a doggy, then be my bitch?" Morekin chuckled.

Both of them were harshly pulled away from each other by their fathers.

Lyris shot and unimpressed look at Alarion and Viridian was not in sight.

"That's enough, both of you. If you can't behave yourselves at a dinner party, then leave." Kole shook his head at the boys. "And Leslie? Blonde? Really?"

"Dad!" Leslie sputtered, embarrassed.

"Told ya," Morekin wiped the blood on his lips.

Jashin didn't utter a word as he looked at his son's white shirt covered in dirt and some blood.

Alarion lifted his head up when he heard a light whirring noise. It sounded distant, but he could hear it. He instinctively pulled Avyugh closer.

Avyugh frowned.

"What's wrong?" He whispered.

Alarion shook his head.

"Nothing, I just thought I heard something." He gave Avyugh a reassuring smile with a kiss to his forehead.

Avyugh ducked his head down with an embarrassed smile.

"Ugh," Kenji rolled his eyes.

Maahi was hugging Pierre's leg as they ate cotton candy together.

All of a sudden they heard a thud sound. Something had fallen down from the sky, over the kingdom's overhead barrier. It was a sack and it looked like it had some contents within it.

Alarion rushed forward but was stopped by Lyris.

"Dian's there already." He said.

The previously light air around them had become tense.

"What is it?" Alarion pressed, speaking into the transmitter.

Viridian's voice sounded clear from the other end of the transmitter.

"It's... a nuclear weapon."

Nothing could be heard next.

All they could see was bright light. The next second, the boom of the explosion was heard.