3. Disappointments

Lyris Hatchet-Yari, knocked on his son's door, and peeked inside when he was asked to come in.

"Painting again? Putting your suspension to good use are we?" Lyris smiled.

Alarion nodded with a smile and Lyris asked. "You really want it to be Harry don't you?"

Alarion froze, his hand mid air, from where he was painting without a shirt and wearing only a pair of sweat pants, since he was using it as a rough cloth to wipe his brushes.

"What?" Alarion asked, wanting to appear dumbfounded.

Lyris stepped fully inside the big room, crossing his hands against his chest. "You want Harry as your mate."

Alarion frowned. "How did you kn-"

"You're my son, Rion. I know things."

Alarion nodded and almost soundlessly said: "You're right. I do want it to be Harry."

Lyris glanced at the painting. It was an outline of a blank face, without features, just eyes. But it wasn't Harry's eyes. It was a random pair of eyes.

"How will you handle it? If it's not Harry?" Lyris prodded, looking at his son, expecting a good answer.

"What do you mean? Why wouldn't it be Harry?"

Lyris shrugged.

"I'm just stating the possibilities."

Alarion titled his head, making the mop of hair fall to one side, as he set his palette aside. "I don't know. I didn't think about that. I chose not to."

Lyris sighed.

"Rion you kn-"

"I know, dad." Alarion interrupted. "I know. I shouldn't expect to even have a mate, but I'm just living on the possibility."

Lyris walked forward and hugged his son, patting him on the back.

"Beautiful eyes you've painted there," Alarion's father commented as he pulled away.

Alarion shrugged. "Thanks."

"Come downstairs on time. People have already started showing up."

"They're not even here to see me," Alarion rolled his eyes.

"Yes but it's still your birthday in two hours. Wear that cologne that Viridian gave you." Lyris spoke and exited the room.

Alarion abandoned his painting and walked towards the window, from where he could see a lot of people who have come to attend his eighteenth birthday party. It was a formal event.

Alarion's parents were vampire/werewolf royalty--the ruling monarchy of most of the supernaturals.

He had heard stories about how his parents fought a battle, and about how his grandparents fought a war together. A family of history. There was pressure on him to live up to that, but his parents didn't care as long as he didn't end up a serial killer or a drug addict.

Alarion was adopted by his fathers and he knew that.

There were always talks around the palace where people often referred to his parents and whispered about what would happen to the throne since they didn't have a biological child.

Alarion's parents didn't give a damn, so alarion chose not to either.

There were so many pack officials, and allies from other clans who were here to attend his birthday party.

Alarion clenched his jaw when he thought about the possibility that Harry might not be his mate. He didn't even dwell on the thought that he might not have a mate in the first place.

He was going to find out in two hours.

--

Alarion had it all. The looks, the gaze.

So when he descended the stairs, like he was asked to, people couldn't help but comment about how good he looked.

He was wearing a three piece suit that his father, Viridian picked out--black with silver linings. A gold chain hung around his neck--it was there ever since he was found by his parents. His hair was swept back and one of his ears were pierced.

Alarion was the epitome of handsome.

He looked around the large room, that was filled with people, waiting for him to cut his birthday cake so they could get to dinner, but there were genuine well wishers like his family, who were the only ones who mattered to him.

"There he is, the man of the hour," his father, Viridian, cheered.

Alarion grinned.

He had admired Viridian for all his feats, after having heard stories about how he grew up alone and all the missions he'd been on.

He wanted to grow up to be like him.

"Happy birthday, Rion." Viridian had come forward to hug his son.

Alarion hugged his father with a grin.

Much to people's surprise, Alarion was close with his family--really close. All of his uncles and aunts adored him.

Viridian handed him a box and grinned. "Your first gift."

"Thanks papa." Alarion smiled at the box in his hand.

"Happy birthday Rion." Lyris stepped forward, and tip toed to kiss his son's cheek, and pulled away, sneakily smiling at his husband. "That gift is from the both of us."

Viridian rolled his eyes.

Alarion chuckled. "I know."

"Happy birthday, Riri," Malek, Alarion's uncle stepped forward with his mate Akaashi, holding a square black box.

"Thanks guys," Alarion hugged both of his uncles.

After receiving gifts from his close family circle, the cake cutting began.

The cake was placed on a pedestal in front of the entire crowd, where the royal family would stand to celebrate Alarion's birthday.

Self operating drones were in-charge of taking pictures and videos.

Soon after the cake cutting, important officials stepped forward to congratulate him, but Alarion was searching the crowd for only one person.

"Looking for Harry?" Klyden asked, excusing himself and saving his cousin from an official.

"Yes." Alarion turned to look at Klyden with a steely gaze. "Where is he?"

Klyden raised his brows in realization. "He's been here for half an hour."

Alarion frowned and almost inaudibly spoke. "What?"

Klyden turned his head towards where Harry was standing, next to Brandon, just walking inside the big hall.

Alarion was trying not to let his disappointment overwhelm him, but he was already looking at his dad, Lyris, seeking for comfort and some kind words.

Lyris closed his eyes and nodded at his son, silently reassuring that all will work out.

Alarion turned back and breathed through his nose and looked at his cousin.

Klyden slapped Alarion on the back. "Wanna get out of here?"

Alarion pulled at his tie that seemed to suffocate him.

"Yes please."

Alarion looked at Harry one last time and walked away, ignoring the sagging of his heart.

Harry was not his mate.

--

There goes chapter three! I'm soooo excited to write to book, and I hope you vamps had a clear view of Alarion's and Avyugh's character and family dynamics.

Anyway vamps, I hope you liked this chapter, and comments are much appreciated!

Vote | Comment | Share