21. Confusions

Alarion tried hard to not look at his mate in front of his parents, but he just couldn't not look at his mate who looked very... not good. They were in his parents' office in the palace.

Alarion's parents--Viridian and Lyris were watching the silent interactions between them. Avyugh's little brother Maahi was under the supervision of Squad Z.

It was the day after the attack, and Alarion's parents suggested they be brought to the palace for safety.

"What have you decided, son?" Viridian asked Avyugh.

How could he possibly give an answer? It hasn't even been a whole day since he had learnt about the existence of supernaturals and now he had to make a decision that would determine the rest of his life.

He was stuck, trying to come up with a proper answer.

"Pa, he just got he-"

"I'm in." Avyugh's voice was firm as he looked at Viridian with a confident gaze.

Alarion's eyes almost bulged out of his sockets. "What!"

"What? I am your," Avyugh blushed furiously with an ounce of annoyance coating his face as he muttered. "Soulmate."

Alarion frowned. "Are you sure?"

"You said it yourself; it's pointless to make me forget, and," he bit his cheek, looking away. "It's safer for me and my family with you on my side, than without you."

Viridian clapped Avyugh on the back with a grin. "Welcome to the pack."

Lyris stepped forward to ruffle Avyugh's hair with a small smile and glanced at Alarion. "He's impulsive sometimes, but means well."

Avyugh chuckled. "He's also annoying."

Alarion scowled.

Viridian laughed. "You'll fit in well no doubt."

Lyris nodded in agreement.

Avyugh glanced at Alarion who was picking up a small box from the couch.

"Boys," Viridian caught their attention. "We have to leave in a couple of hours."

Alarion frowned. "Where?"

"Vairak--you've been summoned."

Alarion's body stilled at the mention of his birth place. He just stared at Viridian with an intense gaze that spoke volumes, but all of it remained an unexplained pit to Avyugh.

"Okay, Rion, why don't you help Avyugh set up his room? Meet us at the runway in two hours." Lyris ushered Alarion outside the office, followed by a confused looking Avyugh.

Viridian spoke once they were out of the office.

"They'll do the rituals tomorrow. He's been summoned for a hearing."

Lyris crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against a chair. "The ritual requires your mate to be by your side. Why would you have done if Avyugh had declined?"

Viridian grinned. "But that didn't happen. Let's just say I made a great bet."

Lyris snorted. "A risky bet."

Viridian shook his head with a small smile.

"Or a divine intervention."

--

Avyugh followed Alarion silently in the hallway on the way to his room.

The vampire was unusually quiet.

"Where is Vairak?" Avyugh blurted.

Alarion turned right inside a suite and set the box he was carrying down on the bed and turned around to look at Avyugh with a grim look on his face.