18. Squad Z

Kenji entered the foundation first.

The other members of Squad Z waited outside the foundation until they got an 'ok' signal from Kenji via the transmitter. They were wearing the invisible cloak that Trey had designed.

"The coast is clear."

Kenji's voice came out of the transmitter.

All the boys were about to step inside the foundation but their transmitter started beeping--an emergency.

"The Moha household is under attack."

Alarion didn't think even for a second before he started running the opposite way, letting his vampire strength take over completely.

It wasn't long before he was standing in front Avyugh's house.

They damned rogues had set the house on fire.

Alarion walked inside the crumbling house and immediately found his mate curled under the bed, guarding his kid brother.

Avyugh looked at Alarion wide eyes, tears streaming down his face.

Alarion was about the lift the bed to help them out but he was attacked from behind; it was a rogue banshee.

He pulled the banshee's hand, bringing him forward and getting a good grip on his face before snapping his neck.

Alarion's heart started to beat faster, but he wasn't panicking--Avyugh was. He wheezed, unable to get a good control of his breath as everything terrible unfolded in front of him.

More banshees started appearing, including some witches. Alarion didn't hold back. He hit, stabbed, and killed. He didn't care for the consequence nor did he even think about it--he just wanted to protect his mate.

He bent down, catching a banshee off guard and sliced her throat with his sword.

Avyugh watched the entire scene unfold. He couldn't even bring himself to blink or scream--he just watched Alarion pile bodies, one on top of the other in the corner of his room.

He glanced down at Maahi who was passed out.

Alarion was trying to fend off a banshee, but was shot in the shoulder by a hunter--they were all lined up outside, but they weren't aware that they were also surrounded by the soldiers of the kingdom.

Klyden burst inside the house, taking down a hunter who was sneaking around.

He looked at Alarion, standing in the middle of a house that was burning down, with a feral look in his eyes, his fangs extended and blood was smeared across his face and neck.

He breathed heavily and without a word, turned around and flipped over the bed, revealing Avyugh, holding his brother.

Avyugh gasped at the sight in front of him, taking in the full form of Alarion dripping in sweat and blood, eerily quiet.

He offered a hand to Avyugh, who was hesitant. He didn't know whom to trust.

"Go with him." Klyden spoke, hitting a hunter square in the jaw. "You'll see Kenji outside."

Avyugh slowly accepted the offered hand. Alarion held onto it quickly and tightly, leading them outside the house, and Kenji stood outside, waiting for them.

He raised a brow at Alarion's disheveled figure and Avyugh's terrified face. Kenji snapped his fingers, making Alarion look less of a killer with a clean face and neat hair.

He quickly muttered a spell, manifesting enough energy to take Alarion, Avyugh and Maahi to the nearest safe house.

Kenji pulled back Alarion once they reached the safe house, letting Avyugh go inside first. "What the fuck are you doing, Rion?" He hissed, punching Alarion's shoulder. "You're freaking him out."

"Wipe his memories."

Kenji scowled. "You think I didn't try? He's on high alert and I can't even get into his head."

Alarion was slowly coming back from his killing high.

"He's human--shouldn't be that hard." He ripped a blood bag from his pocket and gulped its contents.

"I have no fucking clue, I can't even enter his mind. Are you subconsciously guarding him?"

"I have no fucking clue, keep trying Kenji, I can't have him this freaked out. He saw everything."

Kenji sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Then you better fucking start explaining to him. Now."

He vanished from the spot, making Alarion groan and walk inside the safe house, but he was met face-to-face with a long knife.

Avyugh was standing before Alarion, holding a knife.

"What are you?" Avyugh whispered, his voice shaking like a leaf as his eyes watered. "Just what are you?"

Alarion raised both of his hands up. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm actually protecting you."

"By killing?! You killed fifteen people today! What the fuck? You even piled them up in a corner like they were trash! Who the fuck are you?!" Avyugh yelled, his heart beating faster as more tears fell from his face. 

Alarion shook his head, slowly stepping forward. 

"You know I'd win in a fight." He put his hands down. "Now if you're ready to actually have a civil conversation with rational words," he occupied a seat on the recliner. "I'd have no problem with that."

Avyugh was so confused.

He had no idea who was out to harm him and his family, but he had no idea why people would even come after them. He was trying to fit Alarion into all this but it only sent him down a confusing spiral. He warily sat down in front of Alarion, who was calmly sipping blood out of a hip flask.

Alarion pressed a button when Avyugh sat down and pressed a switch on the control set beside the recliner, it automatically dispensed water to Avyugh.

Avyugh eyed the glass warily.

Alarion rolled his eyes. "It's just water."

Avyugh slowly reached out to grab the glass and gulped its contents before setting it aside.

"Are you ready to listen or do you want to forget everything that happened?" Alarion asked, searching Avyugh's eyes for a form of console with no luck.

Avyugh raised a brow. "How can I forget is that eve-"

"I can make it happen." Alarion interrupted. "Literally."

Avyugh didn't sense any humor in his voice. Alarion was serious about it. He was offering his mate the choice to forget, by slowly planting the seed of making him want to forget.

Avyugh looked like he might seriously be considering that option but he shook his head, keeping an eye on Maahi who was sleeping on the couch.

"No. I don't want to forget."

Avyugh was convinced that he didn't want to forget, but Alarion was surprised and not convinced that his mate didn't want to forget.

Alarion was about to ask again but Avyugh seemed to have read his mind. 

"I'm sure. Who are you?"

Alarion finished the contents of the hip flask and wiped his lips.

"Here's the deal--I'm a vampire."