23. Blushing statements

Alarion and Avyugh were back at the palace for ice cream.

Alarion witnessed his mate eat chocolate ice cream beside Pierre in the Royal Kitchen. Squad Z were grilling Alarion about their little visit to Vairak, and Avyugh's brother, Maahi, was just happy to be there as he had his tenth lollipop for the day.

"So? Almost killed you huh?" Pierre asked Avyugh who looked at him with a weird look.

"You're not very good at making small talk," Avyugh remarked, biting into his ice cream cone from the bottom.

"Yes, and nobody eats like that." Pierre pointed out.

"Everybody eats ice cream cones this way, who are you, dude?" Avyugh rolled his eyes.

"Wha-nobody does! You're supposed to make your way down from the top."

"There's no such thing."

"No, it's a universal thing, so it's a thing."

Avyugh waved his hand. "Well, I don't follow it, so it's not universal."

Pierre gasped. "Wow, you're weird."

At that, Avyugh stood up and pointed to everyone around the room starting from Alarion.

"You're a vampire, you're a werewolf, you're a witch, you're werewolves, you are another werewolf," he looked at Pierre. "And I'm the weird one."

"Technically, he's not wrong." Klyden crossed his arms against his chest, leaning against the kitchen island, standing beside Alarion who was sitting on the bar stools.

"You're supposed to be on my side, what are you doing?" Pierre barked, shooting a look at Klyden.

"But what was the ritual that they had to tear a hole in your arm dude?" Miles asked, sitting down on the table in front of Alarion, who called him a fatass.

"Wish I knew," Avyugh shrugged, continuing to eat his ice cream. "He just said, 'I'm sorry but this is necessary' and picked up a pocket knife."

Alarion clenched his fist, his knuckles turning white. He still felt like drilling inside Avyugh's head the option of a way out, but then he cursed at himself when he realized that there was nothing he could do either way. He seemed to believe that his mate was safer with him, but he was reminded otherwise every time he looked at the wound on Avyugh's arm.

"That must've hurt," Trey picked out Avyugh's arm and zoomed his face close to the wound.

"Is it healing?" Alarion asked, making Trey shake his head.

"Not yet, but at least he's not bleeding anymore," Trey replied, letting Avyugh pull his arm away.

"Kenji?" Alarion asked.

Kenji nodded and stepped forward, picking up Avyugh's wounded arm and gently using his magic.

He pulled away and looked at Avyugh with an unreadable expression on his face.

"Is your heartbeat always that slow?"

"What no way, I'm perfectly fine."

Alarion wordlessly stood up and held Avyugh's wrist while Kenji ran his magic.

Avyugh's heart rate went up the minute Alarion's fingers met his hand.

Kenji looked at Alarion with a knowing look, and the vampire smirked and said: "Huh, not always I guess."

Avyugh blushed and pulled away with a grumble.

The boys laughed, making Maahi look up.

--