17. Up and about

Avyugh stirred with an inaudible groan as he clutched his head.

He woke up to an empty room and looked around in confusion. Sheer panic washed through him as he tried to remember what happened.

He sat up, clutching his throbbing head.

A nurse walked inside and handed him a glass of water. He gulped it down and looked at her with a frown, keeping his panic at bay and tried to form a coherent sentence in his head so he could speak properly.

"What... is this place? What happened?" His voice was hoarse and cracked around the edge.

"This is a hospital Mr Moha. You were admitted because you were in a car accident." The nurse replied politely.

Everything came back to him with a force that almost made him want to lie back down. He was in a car crash. With Alarion.

Alarion?

Alarion.

Alarion!

"I had a friend with me, is he alright?" He asked, his heart rate spiking up and his ears were ringing.

"Mr Hatchet-Yari is fine. He left a while ago and appears to be resting. Your family is waiting right outside I'll shall send them in." The nurse left with a polite smile.

"Avi!" Maahi came running inside and launched himself on the bed Avyugh was sitting in.

Avyugh's father walked inside with a blank expression on his face. "Are you alright?" He asked gruffly.

Avyugh nodded silently. "I'm ok."

He was ok.

He was fine.

But what was this nagging sensation at the back of his head?

Avyugh looked at the jacket on the chair beside his bed and picked it up. It wasn't his, but he knew whom it belonged to. He wore it on the way home after checking out at the hospital.

"No school for the next few weeks, take some rest," his father said once they reached home.

Kenji had worked his magic. The palace became a hospital, Avyugh's family thought he only had a minor concussion and was sick for a day, when in reality, he'd been on bed rest for a week.

"Pa, do you know what happened?" Avyugh asked reaching, picking up Maahi.

Akil Moha, sighed. "Just some goons shot at the car tyre. It's been taken care of. The other boy is fine."

Avyugh nodded slowly.

Maahi was sleeping on his shoulder.

Avyugh announced that he was going to his room and gently placed Maahi on the bed so the kid could sleep comfortably. After a quick shower, he hung the jacket he was wearing on his room door and dried his hair with a towel.

He pulled at a bunch of hair and mused at its length. If he had straight hair, it would reach his shoulders.

"Did a bus or something run over me?" He muttered as he collapsed on the bed.

He vaguely remembered Alarion leaning over him when the car rolled over and everything after that was a big blank. Avyugh tried to remember the events after that since for some reason he felt like a lot of time had passed.

He slowly dozed off, thinking about Alarion.

--

Klyden glanced at Alarion from his position.

They were in their training ground, preparing themselves for an attack against the rogues.

Alarion was so out of it.

Klyden signaled Kenji to surprise attack on Alarion to prove a point, but no matter how deep in thought the vampire was, his instincts kicked in as he pressed Kenji against the tree when the latter tried to attack him.

Alarion had a tight hold on Kenji's collar.

"You aren't focusing," Kenji raised his brows, getting out of Alarion's hold.

Alarion removed the top vest of his combat uniform and ran a hand through his hair.

"He woke up." He murmured, reaching for a blood bag in his pocket.

"The lie work out well?" Kenji asked, removing his own vest and sitting down, leaning on one of the trees, calling for a glass of water with his magic.

Alarion nodded and pressed his fist to his chest. "He's just really anxious right now. On full alert."

"That's a good thing." Miles uttered, climbing down from one of the trees.

"What the fuck were you doing up there for so long monkey?" Trey scolded, hitting Miles on the shoulder. "I've been calling for back up for the past half hour."

Miles flipped his twin off. "I need to save myself."

"Where's Pierre?" Kenji looked around.

The guy with a sweet tooth was nowhere to be found. 

"Maybe he saw a tree that bloomed candy." Trey shrugged.

Pierre then came into view, running with his combat vest in hand.

"It's an emergency--they've surrounded Avyugh's house." He breathed out, coming to a stop in front of his friends.

Alarion wasted no time and headed straight to the palace using his vampire strength. He was standing in front of his parents in no time. "What the fuck do they want?" He boomed. "I thought there was a ceasefire."

His father Lyris, shook his head with a disappointed sigh. "They're striking first." He paced forward and pressed a button on his transmitter. "I've summoned all the officials. There is going to be a council hearing in a week."

Alarion frowned. 

He didn't care for the details. He just cared about his mate.

"Pa?" Alarion turned to Viridian with a stoic look on his face. "It's time."

Viridian sighed, pushing a cigarette between his lips and leaning back in his chair. "I hoped it wouldn't be this early. Buzz them in."

Soon enough, all of Alarion's friends were inside the office, followed by their parents--the kingdom officials.

"What's going on?" Kenji voiced, looking at his father and other officials.

"Everybody, please take a seat." Lyris announced and looked at the youngsters around the room. "Now you know why you had combat training right?"

"We're being deployed on a mission." Miles answered.

 Lyris nodded. "Correct, and it was not supposed to be for another month, but you're being deployed in the next ten minutes. You're all in your uniforms with your weapons, that's good." He turned to look at his mate who was leisurely seated. "Honey, you want to brief them?"

Viridian stood up and a hologram was presented in the middle of the office by Kingsley. "This is the rogue manifested place--center of the city." He pointed to the map displayed on the hologram and zoomed in. "You are going to infiltrate this place, bomb the entire foundation, flee the scene and blend in with the humans. Also," he picked up another place. "Bring one alive. Leave now, you have five minutes."

The boys hurried out of the office, and Alarion stayed back, looking at his parents with an unreadable expression on his face.

Viridian walked forward and gently pushed his son towards the door.

"Don't worry about your mate--we're all here." He said, patting his son's cheek.

Alarion left with a slow nod.

Rama scowled. "Miles! You left your cape!"

"Dad send it over!" Kenji yelled to Tolen from outside. The older witch snapped his fingers with a chuckle, making the cloak/cape land on Kenji's head.

"Dian, their name." Lyris reminded.

Viridian nodded with raised brows and communicated this to the boys' transmitter:

"Good luck Squad Z."