24

Milan

"Wow, I thought he didn't date." Said Shayla.

"I know, I feel so special." I said with a mouth full of Doritos and the biggest smile.

"Yeah, I bet he feels special too." Marlon scoffed looking at my mouth.

I finished swallowing and replied. "In fact he does, he has seen me in grandma nightgowns and still decided to take me on a date."

"Well, I'm happy as long as you are." Shayla said kissing my cheek. "Just make sure  your dad doesnt find out."

"He doesn't even know i'm here." I said laughing, I stopped when nobody was laughing with me. They had worried looks on their faces. "Oh thats not-"

"I get it." Marlon said. "Although there is some relief in the fact that your parents aren't on your ass all the time you always wonder the same thing 'do they care?"

"I think they care to an extent... But they don't think we deserve it, the care that is." I tried to reason.

"Thats when yall self preservation is gonna show. Do yall take care of yourself for them or for yall? Cause I know most of the time my mom is the one stoping me of doing some dangerous shit." Shayla said.

Marlon sighted. "Or it could be the opposite."

"How?"

"You put yourself at risk to see if she cares about you." We stayed silent after he said that.

"I haven't done anything risky in a while." I said after a moment.

A smile appeared on Shayla's face, a big one, the kind of smile that appears when she has an idea, almost always a bad one.

"No." Marlon said.

"What?" Shayla asked in disbelief. "I hadn't even spoken."

"I already know what you gonna say." He responded.

"And what was it?"

"That there is a party on the south side, by the lake and that we should go." Marlon finished.

Shayla had a confused expression. "How do you know about that party?"

"the friend of a friend..."

"Wait, why is this risky?" I asked.

"It's the south, it's not exactly school parties. All kinds of drugs and people." Marlon said. "Although that's not the most dangerous thing, what's dangerous is the type of people who organize that shit, they're a Cartel or sum' shit like that."

He kept a serious expression for a while and then said. "Who the fuck told you about that party?" He asked Shayla.

"It's probably not the same one, remember the boy I was talking to? Well, he told me he'd be in town at a party on the south side." She shrugged her shoulders."I wanted to go to see him."

And that's when it hit me. "That's why you invited me to sleep."

"Please?! He said he would be waiting for me at that party and I actually want to go see him." Shayla said, putting her palms together and looking me in the eyes.

Now that I thought about it, it wouldn't be such a bad idea, the last time I went to a party was more than two months ago. And what a party. "Girl, you know i'm not the one you have to be asking."

"but you want to go." I could only nod, I didn't want to get her hopes up because if Marlon didn't go, no one would go.

She turned to Marlon. "Please?" She asked him.

Marlon sighed. "Two hours max."

And Shayla started celebrating.

...

"Yeah, no, this shit It's definitely part of the Cartel." Marlon said as the car came to a stop.

I was definitely wary of this, there was smoke coming from the house. Damn.

"It's just gonna be two hours, lets go." Shayla didn't wait for us, she got out of the car as if the devil was chasing her.

Marlon stopped for a second to tell me, "I'm going to keep an eye on her while she finds this guy, please don't do anything stupid and keep your cell phone with you."

"Damn, yes dad." I said walking towards the sketchy house.

"Don't play with me!" He said practically running after Shayla.

I stayed near the door of the house, getting used to the loud music, there were people dancing and smoking everywhere, so naturally I craved a little smoke.

I took the blunt out of my pocket, where my lighter should have been but oh surprise, it wasn't.

"Fuck this bullshit." I was irritated, searching for the lighter in my pockets.

"Let me get this for you." A deep voice said.

When I looked up I saw a muscular man with a defined jaw and a beard. He was fine. black eyes, long hair, almost as handsome as my man, almost.

Whats my man doing by the way?

"Um, yes, thank you." I told him, letting him light the joint.

After smoking a little and the stranger not leaving, I decided to ask. "Do you want some?"

He didn't say anything, I just took it from my fingers and smoked a little.

"What's your name?" He asked me after a while of silence. For some reason the music wasn't as loud now.

"I don't know if you should know that." I said taking MY blunt from his hands.

He smiled at my response and extended his hand to me. "Mateo." He introduced himself.

I took his hand and shook it, but before I could say my name, someone else said it.

"Milan." Too familiar, so I turned around and found him glaring at me.

Luca.

"What are you doing here?"

Mateo, who wore a confused expression asked. "Do you know each other?"

"Um-"

"I think Mario was looking for you, he's at the pool." Luca interrupted, rather aggressively.

There was some tension building between the two, tension that grew even more when Mateo smiled again and said."It was a pleasure, Milan." He dragged my name, as if testing it.

His shoulder brushed against Luca's, who didn't take his eyes off me.
"

What are you doing here?"