17

Luka

Another sleepless night; Every time I close my eyes I have this strange feeling that something bad is going to happen to me, in the darkness and silence of the night, I feel like they are waiting for me to fall asleep to catch me at my most vulnerable moment.

The bruises serve as reminders, they're coming back to collect a debt that doesn't belong to me.

At two in the morning I was still tossing and turning in bed, at least in the hospital the medicine kept me constantly sleepy, but with a cast on my forearm and constant paranoia it was fucking hard to sleep.

Good thing I didn't have to go to school tomorrow.

Struggling, I sat up in bed and opened one of the drawers of my nightstand, there was my salvation.

I took the blunt and lit it up, good thing I let the window open.

I didn't even knew what time it was, I just knew that the weed was working; my mind was finally allowing me to drift to sleep.

....

It was seven am and I wished I could drift back to sleep but with the dreams I had it  didn't feel right to do it.

There was a knock on the door shortly after I woke up, I get up from my bed and there he was, my fucking dad; with bruises in his face and smeling like piss. My stomach turns thinking about what they did to him.

"What the fuck?" Is the first thing that comes out off my mouth.

"I'm sorry." He brokes down crying. "I'm sorry for what I caused." He says.

I just look at him, because, what else was I supposed to do? This is the same man that told me to get over my mom's dead five months after it, this is the same man that married another woman one year after the fact.

And now he is apologizing on his knees, sobbing.

"What the hell did they do to you?" comes out with unintentional disdain.

"They're trying to take you away from me." He tells me while looking into my eyes, tears settling on his.

I felt my heart race in fear. "Are they... Going to kill me?" my voice trembled.

"They wanted to... B-but I made a deal with them." He said.

"What fucking deal." I said through clenched teeth.

"You- you'll have to work for them."

I clenched my eyes shut and took a deep breath, I felt like hurting him more.

"Why?! Why the fuck do I have to pay for your fucking debts?!" I screamed at him.

He looked at me in disbelief, an angry expression  on his face. "You're my son; be grateful, I gave you life. The car you drive, the school you go to, I feed you, I dress you! The debt I have is not only because of me! It goes way fucking back!
Or how do you think I was paying your mother's treatment while taking care of you?" He stayed silent for a moment and then the tears began to fall. "I don- I don't now what else to do" he sobbed.

"They knew that they could get me through you, you're the most important piece of me." He finished

I just stayed quiet, I felt numb. What kind of job would they make me do? How am I of any use to such powerfull people?

I just felt tired and it wasn't even nine am.

The most important piece of him? Yeah right.

...

"It's a good thing you came before we went looking for you." Said a the man behind the desk. "So lets talk about business."

A big smile grew on his haggard face. He was tall, thin and hunchbacked yet he looked strong, with bushy eyebrows and a long nose; His appearance made me uncomfortable.

"You are of no use to me, death or alive you're useless but your father needs to learn to not fuck with me."

And as soon as he said that, everything turned black