Chapter 191 - United States (6)

Start from the beginning

Later that day, in the late afternoon.

The time was just past 8 o’clock. The location was a large, famous hotel in Seoul. The area around the hotel was packed with people. There were quite a few reporters out in the lobby and along the road in front of the hotel. They were busy filming vans pulling out or crowding around celebrities for interviews.

Inside the hotel’s banquet hall, however, it was quieter than outside. But the number of people gathered was more than double.

There were at least 50 celebrities, including top actors, famous directors, PDs, and other entertainment industry insiders. Journalists and broadcasting team members were also present. The atmosphere of this banquet hall reminded one of a high-end party. It was indeed one. It was an after-party organized by the Korea Actors Association following the ‘Night of the Stars’ awards ceremony that started in the late afternoon.

-♬♪

Violin music filled the entire banquet hall, and there were round tables and long desks everywhere. Of course, they were set with various champagnes, wines, and gourmet party foods and refreshments. Everyone was busy drinking and engaging in conversations.

Familiar faces were spotted among the crowd.

Director Kim Do-hee, who set an unprecedented record with the R-rated movie ‘Drug Dealer,’ actors Jin Jae-jun and Park Pan-seo from ‘Drug Dealer,’ as well as the film’s cinematographer and music director, were also present. Naturally, ‘Drug Dealer’ received many awards at today’s ceremony, and they were strong contenders for major awards at upcoming ceremonies beyond the Blue Dragon Film Awards.

As a result, many people were gathered around the ‘Drug Dealer’ team.

“Ha-ha-ha, Director Kim Do-hee~nim, congratulations. You won two awards here alone, and if you count the Blue Dragon, Grand Bell, and Baeksang Awards, you’ll win more than 10 this year, right?”

“Amazing, really amazing. Well, the movie was killer. You must be getting a ton of contacts from film companies, right??”

“Not just contacts? An R-rated movie attracted 8 million viewers! Ha-ha-ha.”

Reporters and various officials lavished insane amounts of praise on Director Kim Do-hee. Well, given the results, it was a predictable scene. Meanwhile, Director Kim Do-hee, still with her permed hair, said,

“Ah- yes, thank you. It’s all a bit overwhelming.”

Her reaction was mechanical, but she seemed uncomfortable in her surroundings. She had attended film festivals before, but she wasn’t used to after-parties like this,

Thanks to that.

“Ah, excuse me, I need to take a call.”

Director Kim Do-hee, who had been caught up with many people, moved away pretending to take a call. Her destination was a slightly secluded spot. The art director and cinematographer followed her. Soon after.

“Director~nim.”

The main actors of ‘Drug Dealer’ who had been talking with other actors joined the group. It was Jin Jae-jun and Park Pan-seo, who played ‘Jeong Seong-hoon’ and ‘Professor Kim’. The one who started the conversation was Park Pan-seo, the eldest in the team in his late fifties, who had unbuttoned his suit jacket.

“I think we’ve made enough of an appearance by now. Thinking of heading out.”

Jin Jae-jun, with his sharp features, was quick to respond.

“Are you leaving, senior?”

Director Kim Do-hee, looking exhausted, caught the end of his words.

“Yes, go ahead. I was thinking of making my escape within 10 minutes too.”