61| Exposed

🥀

With his eyes squeezed shut, he inhaled deeply, pondering her question. Taking A'Ying - what purpose did it serve in his mission? For the first time, he was at a loss for an answer. Perhaps, he had never considered it or deliberately avoided it.

"Yun Luo?"

She edged closer, purpressing her lips together. "Are you manipulating her too? I have a right to know the details at least!"

He slowly cracked open his eyes and turned to her, his head shaking in negation. "That wasn't part of the initial strategy. Duke Wei must be scheming something."

"So you suspect her motives? Then why did you intervene on her behalf in front of all the elders?"

He pursed his lips, scanning the area for an explanation. "I'm not entirely convinced she's not a spy, but I have a strong suspicion-"

"-what suspicion?" She pressed closer, her heart hammering in her chest like a ticking bomb. "She has her own objectives, just like us. On top of that, there's an unknown person sending her cakes every year on her birthday." Jing Yi bit her lip, surprised by his deduction.

"Cakes?" He gave a curt nod, sheathing his sword. "Bai Ling." Jing Yi paused, piecing together the fragments. "Does she know the-"

His negative shake silenced her. She inhaled deeply, taking a step back. "I think this is somehow connected to her agenda. And I believe it's linked to the demoness. That's why I intervened in front of the elders."

"The demoness? She's also targeting my father." He nodded, trying to nudge her towards the solution. "What if she's no different from the avaricious elders?" Zhao Yun shook his head, his conviction unwavering. "Her past is as shrouded as mine. If my gut feeling doesn't lead me astray, she could be Consort Bai Jue of Liang."

She gasped, her eyes darting around in suspicion. Satisfied that they were alone, she pulled him closer, her gaze flickering. "Bai Jue? Didn't she perish in the plague with the slaves after being expelled from prison?" Zhao Yun let out a sigh, crossing his arms. "If I'm correct, I have no idea how she managed it. But the chances are high. She shares the same surname, requested for your master, and retreated upon seeing Bai Ying."

He continued, "most crucially, she possesses the same tattoo we have. That's a question that burns in my mind."

Jing Yi's eyes widened in stark surprise. "The dragon tattoo? Isn't that exclusive to Yihua Palace?" He nodded again, a thought churning in his head. "She must share a history with your master. As long as we shadow the two, rescuing your master is just a matter of time."

She inhaled deeply and exhaled heavily, "but what if Duke Wei fashioned her into a spy? What if your intuition deceives you? What if Yourong is also a covert agent?" His eyes darted upwards in a sharp movement. Stifling his frustration, he retreated a step from her.

"Whatever the cost, we're rescuing my master and vindicating Yihua Palace's reputation."

Taking a deep breath, he turned to face her again. "My master will be alright. As long as they lack the secret to forging the Guo Se sword, they can't kill him." She rubbed her hand through her hair in desperation, retorting, "so you believe the demoness? That's why they slaughtered Yihua Palace?" He didn't nod, but the resolute expression in his eyes spoke volumes.

His clenched fists relaxed for a moment, "what about Consort Gu?" She lowered her head, "she's alive. A few years after you left Liang, the people say she inexplicably collapsed one day in the snow, for a decade. But the physicians were able to heal her."

"What transpired with Zhen Lan and General Su during that period?" She sighed again, letting her hands fall limp at her sides. "Zhen Lan was sent to the barracks at a young age under Duke Wei's command while General Su safeguarded the eastern borders from Rouran's incursions."