25|🎗️Reconsiderations

🥀

Brushing over his feet, the burnt wood from the destructed houses splash all over the vicinity. No street is spared from the harsh explosives. As the streets envelope the dusty and smoky air, the injured townspeople sob struggling to move around.

But a few, they manage to make their way in between the numerous dead bodies in search of their loved ones. Walking with bleeding feet, the townspeople move along the bodies lifting them one by one.

"Crown Prince!" As he takes in heavy breaths, his hand moves up and drags away a big broken piece of wood lying over his left arm. With a brief scream, he successfully rolls it off him and stands up slowly.

But his eyes begin to sober in anxiety spotting the horrible situation the capital was in now. The streets were no way similar to how he met them before. Watching the horrible sight of blood splattered across the whole streets, his body feels lighter than a feather.

Dead bodies line up and pile together. Only a few were alive to walk along the street. Amidst crying, the injured citizens limp on their feet or gaze around hopelessly.

"Mother!"

"Father!"

Hearing these painful gasps, his head makes a turn towards that direction. But as he turns around, a sharp pain over his arm forces him to look away for a moment while the two little boys cry over their dead parents.

His right hand unconsciously moves up to massage his injured arm but the moment he does so, he lets out a silent scream. Blood starts to drip from the pierced wooden structure in his arm. Staring at his injured arm, one of the little boys stands up in tears and lifts a stick at him.

Trembling, he points the sword at him as his eyes well up in tears.

"Y-Your people killed my parents! I'll kill you."

When sulks overpower his vision, he forces himself to stand up properly. But as he lifts a sword from the floor and flings it at him, an arrow from behind flies and pierces his heart. Just as blood spurs from his little lips, Xu Feng's eyes widen in shock.

Fumbling under his breath, he turns around stumbling on a toe. Before he can utter a word, a tear runs down the little boy's eyes while his body loosens and falls in a thud.

His elder brother quickly moves from their dead parents and rush to his brother with a long scream. Crawling over the floor, he attempts to get to his brother but the shooter dashes to him and crush him beneath his feet.

Before Xu Feng can stop him, he punches the boy's heart with his sword and looks up to him with a bow.

Fuming with anger and desperation, he rushes for his guards collar and stare daringly into his eyes. The hands of the little boy drops while he took his last breath with a silent sob.

 "Why did you kill them?!" Quickly lifting his hands in the air, a large smile draws up from the corner of his lips. With a short smirk, he retorts sharply.

"It's my duty to protect Your Highness. It was obvious they were going to attack you."

As his eyes fill up with fury, he grabs on tightly to his collar before yelling back at him.

 "Kill me? He's just a little boy. How can you be so heartless?"

Sighing, he drops his hands and pats his shoulders.

"It's better this way. Did you want him to live out of revenge all his life?"

Stamps of horses draw near when the main army rush in from the main exit. Riding elegantly on their horses, they lift the strings across the necks of the horses to stop them. With loud neighs, the horses raise their feet and drop them in a thud.