16|🎗️ Look in

🥀

Reacting with lightning speed, Zhao Yun whipped his sword out of its sheath, the honed metal catching the faint light of the corridor.  The guard, startled by the sudden movement, stammered an apology, his voice barely a whisper.

"How many soldiers are left guarding the Cold Region?" A'Ying demanded, her voice laced with urgency.  Zhao Yun's brow furrowed as he relayed the grim news.

"Two thousand, at the eastern gate… at least, before I left. The guard said… the dead rose as monsters and attacked them!"

A heavy silence descended upon them. Zhao Yun clenched his jaw, his mind racing with possibilities. "Has Duke Wei been informed?"

The guard shook his head, his face etched with worry. "No, Your Highness. He left a few hours ago for a diplomatic mission to Tang State."

A flicker of frustration passed between Zhao Yun and A'Ying. The guard stood awkwardly, awaiting further instructions.

"Gather three-fourths of the available guards," Zhao Yun finally commanded, his voice firm. "Assemble them at the abandoned chambers by the east gate. We need to contain these… monsters as soon as possible!"

The guard snapped to attention, relief washing over his features. With a sharp salute, he barked out orders and hurried away, four fellow guards hot on his heels.

Zhao Yun strode towards the exit, watching as the guards scurried to assemble under his command. "They need someone to lead them," A'Ying stated, her gaze heavy with concern.

"Take care of it," Zhao Yun replied, already turning towards the opposite direction. "I'll head straight for the Cold Region. There's no time to waste."

A'Ying's face paled. "But Shifu, you just arrived! And the Cold Region… it's freezing.  I know the terrain better, let me go!"

Zhao Yun hesitated, his eyes meeting hers for a fleeting moment. Then, with a determined glint in his eyes, he drew his sword. "There's no arguing, A'Ying. Time is of the essence."

He rushed out before A'Ying could protest further. Left alone, she watched him disappear with a worried frown.  With a heavy sigh, she pivoted and ran towards the assembling guards, her heart pounding with a mixture of fear and determination.

Meanwhile, Zhao Yun pushed through the deserted corridors, his eyes scanning the shadows for any sign of movement.  Suddenly, a figure emerged from behind a corner – a once-human form with vacant eyes and a predatory gait, its hands outstretched in a gruesome parody of a greeting.

Adrenaline surged through Zhao Yun's veins.  With a guttural roar, the creature lunged.  He reacted instinctively, his sword singing a deadly song as it sliced through the creature's arm.  Letting out a bloodcurdling shriek, the creature stumbled back, its hunger momentarily thwarted.

Zhao Yun wasted no time.  He darted around the creature, flanking it before delivering a swift, precise blow. The monster crumpled to the floor, lifeless once more.  He barely had a moment to catch his breath when three more figures materialized, their movements jerky and uncoordinated.

These weren't trained fighters – they were puppets of something else, driven by a primal hunger.  Zhao Yun met their charge head-on, a whirlwind of steel and deadly grace.  The confined space of the corridor became a gruesome dance of life and death. Blood splattered against the walls as Zhao Yun dispatched his adversaries with ruthless efficiency.

He emerged from the corridor onto a vast expanse of snowy plains.  The wind howled like a banshee, carrying the sting of the biting cold.  The once-verdant grassland had been swallowed by a relentless tide of snow, erasing any familiar landmarks.  With a deep breath, Zhao Yun pressed on, his resolve hardening with each step.