12| 🎗️Troubles

🥀

Gasps erupted from the assembled disciples and imperial officials as they returned from their breaks. Confused murmurs rippled through the crowd as Mo Yan gestured towards A'Ying, his voice laced with accusation.

"You're crazy! Who on earth are you, sneaking into the disciples' chambers? I was simply doing a good deed—"

"—a good deed by peeping?! Stop with the lies already!" A'Ying retorted, rolling her eyes before turning to Zhen Lan and General Su. Duke Wei, his face unreadable, rose to his feet and adjusted his sleeves. As he took deliberate steps forward, the disciples hushed their murmurs and gathered closer.

He reached the silent crowd and turned to A'Ying, who swiftly moved to stand beside him. Two disciples, Wen Xuan Ji and Hong Jin, rushed to his side, their voices low as they tapped his shoulder. "Mo Yan, don't you recognize her?"

Mo Yan let out a humorless chuckle, but as he slowly turned towards them, three guards entered the room and bowed low to each of them. His eyes widened in stunned realization as the guards bowed to A'Ying, their fingers crossed in a gesture of respect.

"Duke Wei, General Su, Princess," one of the guards announced, his voice solemn. "The participants in the training exercise have not yet returned."

Mo Yan's jaw dropped in shock, his eyes mirroring the growing unease spreading through the room. A'Ying, however, crossed her arms and stormed towards her seat, clearly fuming.

Mo Yan exchanged a petrified look with his fellow disciples, their amusement bubbling over at his expense.

"Mo Yan," Duke Wei began slowly, his gaze fixed on the young disciple. "Care to explain the situation?"

Mo Yan, his bravado completely deflated, bowed deeply. "Disciple Mo Yan humbly apologizes for the misunderstanding. I hope to make amends for this lapse in judgment."

A strained silence hung in the air as Duke Wei's gaze shifted between Mo Yan and A'Ying.

Mo Yan's apology hung in the air, the strained silence broken only by the rasping breaths of the injured guards. As Zhen Lan reached for his sword, his blade catching the fading sunlight, two guards stumbled into the room, their ragged clothes and bloodied faces painting a picture of desperation.

"Bad news! The disciples!" they gasped in unison, their voices raw from exertion. Before anyone could react, they collapsed to their knees, leaving a trail of bloody footprints on the polished stone floor.

Disciples, their faces etched with concern, rushed to their aid. Jing Yi and Zhen Lan were at the forefront, their movements swift and practiced as they assessed the wounded men. One guard, his voice weak and raspy, managed to speak.

"Hunt birds," he rasped, his words barely audible. "Poisonous... too powerful..." His voice faded into a pained murmur.

General Su's brow furrowed. "What of the others? Where are the disciples?!"

The other guard, gathering his remaining strength, lifted his head. "Still in the forest..." he managed, before coughing up a spray of blood.

Jing Yi, her heart pounding in her chest, scanned the room, searching for any sign of the missing group. A'Ying, unable to contain her growing panic, surged forward and grabbed Zhen Lan's arm.

"We have to save them!" she cried, her voice trembling. Zhen Lan, his face grim, tightened his grip on his sword. He turned to Jing Yi, a silent communication passing between them.

The calm that had settled over the room moments earlier shattered as the elders, fueled by fear and anger, erupted around General Su and Duke Wei.

"What kind of security is this?!" Elder Yu bellowed, his voice echoing through the hall. "Our disciples disappear, then reappear dead! And what is this about poisonous birds?"