"Still the same?" The voice came from beside me.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath before lifting my head to face the speaker. There he was, in the same jacket and jeans as I had last seen him, tears softening his brown eyes as they met mine.

"Seems like it's always still the same," I replied slowly, my gaze locked with his.

It was James. James Alison, my one and only brother whom I had failed to protect. A small smile began to form on his lips.

"But, you look better now, Jen," he said gently. "It's been a long time since I've seen you," he added.

"Yes," I affirmed, wiping away the tears that trailed down my cheek and sitting up straight. "Years ago, you were here," I added, turning my head slightly towards him to meet his gaze.

"And... you are still here for today too," I continued, a tear slipping down my cheek. He shook his head slowly, tears brimming in his eyes as well.

"I'm not here anymore, Jen," he said softly. "I've already gone, and I'm just a figment of your imagination... Jen," he added gently. I knew he was merely a creation of my mind, conjured up to fill the void he left behind when he passed away, to be the one I could confide in, the one I could share my deepest feelings with. Not to my paintings or Lexa. Just to him, James.

"I know," I whispered in acknowledgment. "Even though you're just imaginary, at least you're still with me," I added softly, grateful for the solace he provided, even if only in my mind.

"How's my girl? Is she okay too?" he asked, his voice filled with concern. As I finished speaking, I lowered my gaze to my hand, feeling the weight of his question. When he posed another inquiry, I slowly raised my head to meet his gaze, knowing exactly who he was referring to.

"She's fine, and she's already 5 years old now," I replied in a softer tone. He nodded slowly, taking in the information.

"Does she look like me?" he asked, prompting a small giggle to escape my lips.

"Absolutely," I confirmed with a chuckle, and he joined in, sharing the moment of lightness. He was referring to his daughter, Adeline, whom I had been caring for since his passing.

"So..." he paused his laughter, his expression turning more serious. "So, that means I've been leaving her alone for nearly 5 years," he added, a hint of sadness in his voice. His words tugged at my heartstrings, and I looked at him with gentle understanding in my eyes.

"Not only her," I began, and he turned his head slightly towards me, listening intently.

"You also left me alone too... James," I added, my voice trembling with emotion.

"I'm so sorry, Jan... I didn't mean to..." he started, but I interrupted him before he could finish.

"It wasn't your fault," I interjected, holding back my tears. "I shouldn't have left you alone at that time," I continued, feeling a wave of guilt wash over me. He shook his head in disagreement.

"It wasn't your fault, Jen... none of this is your fault," he said softly, reaching out to hold my hand. Even in this imagined moment, I could still feel the warmth of his touch, a comforting presence that I missed dearly. A small chuckle escaped my lips.

"I think it was my fault," I admitted, looking into his eyes. "That's why I'm still talking to you as if you're still with me," I added, acknowledging the complexity of my grief. I glanced down at our hands, intertwined once more, and let out a soft sigh.

"Something happened?" he asked, resting his head against the bed frame. I nodded slowly, unable to find the words to express the turmoil within me until he prompted me again.

"Just a hard day, filled with a lot to handle," I replied swiftly, choosing not to disclose the truth of what had transpired. If I were to tell him about our mother's unexpected appearance, he would undoubtedly worry about Adie, just as I did. He had always done everything in his power to protect her. So, instead of revealing the unsettling truth, I opted for a partial truth — acknowledging that my day had indeed been overwhelming.

"Even though you're just imaginary... at least you can still make me feel like I'm not alone,"

 I whispered to myself, my voice tinged with a mixture of sadness and gratitude. Despite the knowledge that he existed only in my mind, his presence provided a sense of comfort and companionship that eased the loneliness I often felt in his absence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the upcoming episodes, I'll delve into Jennifer Alison's life story in details.

Hope you guys enjoy ~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could you provide some feedback on my stories, characters, and storyline? I'm seeking constructive criticism and suggestions to enhance the readability and appeal of my narrative. 🫶🫶