Chapter 50: I Want To Find Him

At a VIP airport lounge, Henry sat on a comfortable chair checking the documents received from the Bureau of Lands. His eyes focused on his laptop screen, occasionally tapping the mouse. His eyebrows gradually knitted and the hand on the mouse tensed.

He clenched his other hand while glaring at the documents on the screen. The Bureau of Land Controls dared to play a word game with him! His expression got colder and his hands hovered over the keyboard for a second before typing something at a shocking speed.

A moment later, Andy walked in with a grey document file in his hands. He stood beside the table and passed the file respectfully. "Boss, this is the file you requested. As you'd expected, they've been aware of the recent changes and they can't sit still anymore."

Henry took the file and scanned through it before closing it and raising his head to look at Andy. "Schedule an executive meeting into hours. I believe it is time to weed out the mole."

Salva Corp. headquarters

Inside an executive meeting room, Henry leaned casually on the boardroom chair. He had a black custom-made shirt adorned with diamond cufflinks. His curly hair framed his face and a black leather necklace peeked through his slightly opened shirt. This look held an air of mystery.

There was neither a trace of smile nor warmth on his face. Even his gaze seemed to contain shards of ice. No one dared to breathe loudly in the room and an eerie silence made everyone uncomfortable.

One of the executives couldn't sit still anymore. "President Salva, chairman has already approved the Elanore project. All it needs is your signature." Henry flashed him a deadly look and this voice softened, "If you would take a look... sorry, when you have time, could you please sign so the construction can start?"

Henry held a black pen in his hand, spinning it casually without saying a word. Perhaps he wasn't even listening. Twenty or so executives in the room were equally silent, holding their breaths in fear of interrupting his thoughts. The tension in the room rose with each passing second.

An eternity later Henry said, "That project?  I've already rejected it."

"What?" the Bureau of Lands' representative, a man in his fifties, banged the table and shot up. "What do you mean 'rejected it'? Huh? It took our department three months to draft a proposal after spending the last year working on the budget and the business metrics. Young boy, do you think this is child's play?" He got angrier, "Do you know how much money we'll lose?"

Henry sat up, clasped his hands, and rested on the table.  "Oh, it seems you care about the company's welfare. Then I presume you already know that that land you acquired is a cultural center."

Deputy Chief Wang's face lost all color as he sat and everyone's gaze turned to his direction. According to the law, a cultural center cannot be acquired for private use.

"But that is not why I called you here," Henry said as Andy walked in with a pile of documents, placed it on his table, and sat beside him. Henry threw a couple of A4 papers across the table, straight to his uncle, Deputy Chief Wang. Those present craned their necks and caught a glimpse of a newspaper clipping showing what seemed to be a riot.

"Uncle, you always interfere with any project that I look forward to," Henry's angry voice reverberated through the silent room. "For the sake of a mere 10 million dollars, you did not care about those people's lives. It is fine if the contractor is treacherous, but if you can control it, you should control it. I helped you get in touch with them, and you made such a big mistake! How are we, the investors, going to deal with this?"

Henry pressed a tiny remote control and a big screen lit up. A disturbing video of an injured old man holding dearly to a young child played on the screen. Behind the old man, several forklifts were ready for demolition. Audible gasps could be heard in the room.