Chapter 37: The Rain

An hour and a half later, the rain hadn't shown any signs of relenting and it was nearing the closing time for the restaurant. It was also time for her and Henry to leave, otherwise, they risked spending the night in a restaurant.

As they walked to the entrance of the restaurant, they saw that numerous people had come to take shelter under the wide awning.

Sarah wanted to say goodbye to Henry, but when she turned around, he was on the phone. She waited for him to finish his call as she played with the raindrops, extending her arms to the rain. She enjoyed the sensation cool of raindrops splashing on her palm, and the cold liquid flowing through the gaps of her fingers before dropping onto the ground.

Henry had long finished his call but did not alert her. He enjoyed her calm and cheerful nature as she played. She resembled a carefree young girl happily playing in the meadows. The sparkles in her eyes captivated him and a rare genuine smile had appeared on his face without his knowledge.

"My driver called," Henry cleared his throat and continued, "he is stuck in traffic and he won't be here in a while."

"You can take a taxi."

"I've tried and there isn't one available within the two next hours." As he spoke, several taxis came and went but the number of people under the awning kept increasing. For each taxi that came, it was a race against time. People scrambled to get in and it wasn't a matter of who called first, but who touched the door handle first.

"Yep, that makes sense." With this kind of weather, finding a taxi would be harder than winning a lottery.

A gust of wind blew, blowing the water droplets farther into the awning and splashing on their clothes. More and more people hurdled in front of the restaurant, cramming the place even further, while some rushed into the rain looking for another place to take shelter.

It was a tough choice between getting rained on and scrambling for a taxi, or moving back for a shelter and missing the taxi. Sarah and Henry chose the latter. She did not have a job to attend to tomorrow anyway, and waiting for an hour did not seem as much.

The murmuring wouldn't stop as people signaled for taxis, some continued their previous conversations, while some took their time to complain about life. Audible gasps interrupted the chatter as the street lamp went off and the light behind them disappeared as well. The whole city descended into pitch-black darkness and the chatter resumed in louder, panicky voices as they turned on the flashlights in their phones.

A city-wide blackout!

Sarah laughed. Nature surely had inexhaustible ways to make life complicated. First, it was Robert's emergency, then the rains, the traffic, the lack of taxi, and now; total darkness. Flashlights were the only way people could see a thing.

A flash of lightning illuminated the sky briefly and Sarah spotted Henry's face in the crowd. His face was frighteningly pale and looked like he would collapse any moment.

"Are you okay?" Sarah grabbed his arm and gave him a gentle shake and he responded by shaking his head a little. "My apartment isn't far from here. We could walk if you don't mind."

Henry supported himself with her shoulder and gave an almost imperceptible nod. Sarah took out a folded umbrella from her bag, opened it and they stepped into the rain. Henry held the umbrella because of his height while Sarah illuminated the way with her phone's flashlight. The umbrella was designed for one person, and with the two of them sharing, they could not avoid getting drenched.

Henry finally had a chance to enter the brown gate he couldn't last time. They stood at the verandah and Sarah gave the umbrella a good shake before placing it on the corner to dry. They took off their soaked shoes and placed them on the cardboard beside the door. Sarah unlocked the door, removed her shawl, and hung it on the rack. "Wait here, I'll go get us some towels."

Henry stood at the Verandah waiting for her to return since he couldn't enter the house with his soaking wet jacket. With his shoes off, his attention landed on the soft jungle green rug on his feet with an orange footprint design in the middle.

Sarah returned with a stack of dry towels and Emily's black slippers that she passed to Henry. He pat-dried himself with the towels, getting most of the water out before hanging the wet towels on the rack. He took off his jacket but kept his wet t-shirt. Sarah offered an oversized maroon t-shirt that she had gotten while working in a retail shop.

Henry accepted the t-shirt without persuasion, put on the slippers, and followed Sarah's lead into the kitchen. A solar lamp she had lit illuminated the kitchen, and a kettle of water was boiling on the gas stove.

Henry noticed that most of the furniture in the dining room was made of wood. There was a fruit basket on the small table, along with a beaded serviette holder. The room was neatly arranged and had a fresh homey smell. A potted plant with lush foliage and broad white flowers that resembled a white peace flag, which he recognized as peace lilies, was placed on a three-legged stool at the corner.

The table was adjacent to a square window, and its curtains were drawn. Raindrops splashed on the glass and slipped down the windowpane, forming a tiny stream. Sarah placed a cup of hot chamomile tea on the table, which he accepted without question. He was suddenly struck by a strange thought that he'd come home.

He shook his head to get rid of the strange thought and found something to talk about. "Where is your friend?"

"Oh, Emily? She went to G city for work. She'll be back tomorrow night." Sarah said without much thought. If he knew where she lived, he also knew about her roommate.

Silence resumed as each of them took sips of calming tea while they seemed lost in their thoughts. Henry felt much better after finishing the tea.

Sarah left him at the table and came back a few minutes later with two blankets and a heating pad. They transferred to the living room where she lit a homemade lavender candle.

They each sat on a sofa as his eyes wandered in the room. There were two small but cozy sofas, one yellow armchair, and a circular coffee table in the middle. A small TV was mounted on one wall while the adjacent wall had floating hexagonal wooden shelves with books and indoor plants of different varieties.

The sweet scent of lavender helped Henry to relax. He couldn't help but clutch a pillow and curl up on the sofa, a blanket wrapped around his shoulder. Shadows blanketed his face as he stared at Sarah, who was fiddling with a musical box, with burning intensity. "You still use that?"

Because cell phones were already technologically advanced, people who used musical boxes were becoming increasingly rare with the passage of time.

Sarah looked at him. "Mhm."

Soothing music played out and Sarah brought up her knees, wrapping her arms around them. Her facial features softened a lot and he found her serene face very pleasing to the eye.