Chapter 11 - The Game

'"New, the office told me to remind you to register your heat." Gulf utters as he opens the door slightly. New sits up from the bed, putting his novel away. "You really need to answer their calls."

New nods lazily. He actually blocked the number, ever since they kept on bugging him to see the school's therapist and counsellor. After that night, the police had to notify the university for their investigation which was why New is allowed to take a sick leave for half a year without any additional fees and problems. They also provided him with free health care, which he really appreciates - academy responsibility and what not.

The only downside is that they also want him to take care of his mental health which consist of him going for monthly check-ups. He is already fine, yet they insist for their own omega therapist to make that judgement, which annoys New.

"I haven't gotten mine yet…" He notices the surprised face, "You seem surprised…"

"No… it's just… It's already been more than 6 months since then." New frowns. Yes, a few months have passed since that night. He stares at the older man, trying to figure out where this conversation is going. "Most omegas got theirs in their first three months so… I think it's probably best to have a check-up."

He realizes the other is being cautious, as if he is trying not to pry that much, giving suggestion only lightly. He nods weakly and gives the man a smile before returning to his book. He hears the door closes and stares at the ceiling.

To be honest, New is secretly relieved about not getting his heat just yet. In fact, he would love to not have it at all. If the attack caused him to not be able to bear children, then he would actually be thankful to his mate and attackers for messing his body that bad. Because now, the only difference between him and a beta is his scent.

And he can hide that too, unlike other omegas.

The situation is perfect.

He suddenly got a crazy idea. If it is true that he will never get his heat, and he wishes he wouldn't, then the bond will only be like a protector against other alphas from approaching. Maybe, if he can find his attacker, lock him up, and visit him once a month, just enough to 'renew' the bond, he will get his sweet revenge. The alpha won't be able to mate, and he will have his security against other alphas, and can live like any normal betas without any problems.

New laughs just thinking about it. That really seems like a good idea. Except that it will never happen. He will never try to find the bastard. He will never even return to that damned place. If his attacker gets caught by the authority while the bond is still not broken, then maybe, he will consider doing that.

****

New makes sure to wear a turtleneck and checks himself in the mirror a few more times. He keeps on pacing back and forth, arranging his hair so he won't stand out, and rearranging it again so he won't look like a mess.

Gulf has been calling him, urging him to hurry up but he cannot find it in himself to calm down. He will be with so many alphas in the same place, in a closed hall with only a few doors. He won't be able to run away if anything…

"You okay? The game starts in 30 minutes." His heart skips a bit at the sudden voice. Gulf is finally peeking into his room. "Yes. Let's go."

"You're sweating so much. You need anything?"

New tries to rearrange his breathing. This suck. He is holding Gulf here. Maybe he should just stay in his room today. He will ask the other about the result later.

"Hey. It's alright. I'll be there. Other omegas will be there, even the betas. The campus guards will be close by. Nothing will happen."

"I know… I just…"