Chapter 37

"I declare our children; Sadeeq Hakeem Zayyad and Aisha Omar Sa'ad husband and wife. Other things and customaries will follow after." Those were the words said in the first living room of Usman Sa'ad household-located downstairs.

Meanwhile Aisha-who was pacing the length of her room, thinking of where she kept her phone just now-halted in her tracks and pronto stilled, not knowing why but a force she couldn't point finger at restrained her movement. She just stood there, taking slow breaths, her mind far far away. She isn't in the present, neither is she in the past or future.

She shook her head as though that would bring her back to the present from God-knows-where then proceeded to check under her pillows for the third time. She opened the drawer on her vanity. "Why would I even keep my phone here." She huffed and turned to check nowhere in particular.

"But it was just with me before I went to the kitchen, where is-" the ringtone of her phone snatched her attention. She lifted the phone that had been in her left hand since and answered the call.

"Hello." The other person said in a singsong voice from the other end of the line.

"Hi, Sadeeq. I'm looking for my phone now I'll call you once I find it." She said as she pushed her right hand I'm the nooks of her bed while holding the phone with her left.

"What are you looking for?" Sadeeq asked to make sure he heard right.

"My phone." She answered, frustrated, removing her hand from the nook and placing it on her waist.

"Which phone?"

"This ph-" then she realised and pursed her lips to a thin line. "Oh. I didn't know it's been with me. I'm confused for now reason."

There was silence from the other end as Sadeeq thought of how to tell her. She spoiled his plan the second she talked about finding her phone.

"Deep breaths, Aisha." And she did. "Are you standing?"

"Yes."

"Then sit." He said.

"And what if I refuse to?" She grinned mischievously although he couldn't see her but she sat nonetheless. She brought are bowl of salad to her laps.

"Well, you're my-my wife." He swallowed thickly.

"So you're going to force me then?" He heard the smile in her voice, she then pushed a spoonful of her salad in her mouth.

"No." He smiled too, grabbing his car keys beside his bedside lamp. "You stand forever if you want to, all I know is I'll sand beside you." His smile not wavering, he made it out of his room dressed elegantly in a grey kaftan embroidered in a darker shade.

Aisha giggled and stuffed her mouth with her salad, Sadeeq's heart swelled with felicity at the sound of her giggles.

Now I'm going to listen to this forever, everyday, he thought. He wants to go see his wife that moment at the same time he doesn't want to as he's finding a hard time in sorting out his emotions.

"Hajiya is not home, we would've went on a date but I can't leave Abdulqaadir alone." Aisha said, bringing him out of his trance.

"How about I come over? I need to tell you something." He got into his car.

"Sure." Aisha beamed after swallowing the content of her mouth.

"But I'm not staying for long." He declared.

"Why?" Her smile dropped.

"I have other plans." I need to go get you a wedding gift, wifey.