Chapter 23

"Ummulkhayr is alive."

Jasmine's baby kicked hard, like it heard what its father said.

"Ah ouch." She winced in pain as she held her tummy and sat up.

"I'm sorry, you okay?" Muslim asked her, all concerned.

She nodded but heck, she knew she wasn't okay. How comes someone that died years back would suddenly be alive? It made no sense at all. Why did they tell people that she died then? Why didn't Muslim marry her? Who is she even?

"She came back from Germany today, she's now at Abuja and I promised her family that I am going to visit before Ramadan starts, possibly next week." He could savvy that the topic wasn't right for her at the moment but she needed to know. Now or never.

"I thought she is late." Jasmine sounded so woebegone as her voice dripped with melancholy and she gave him an abysmal look.

"Stop looking dolorous. I just thought you have the right to know, I don't mean to hurt you." He bluely vocalised.

"I'm not hurt, okay? I just thought she is no more and I don't understand how comes she is alive." She stated slowly and lowly. "How did she die then? And how is she now alive? I thought they said you were somehow responsible for her death." Jasmine blurted. It hurt him so much to hear that from her but he had to mask it with a small smile, which was unsuccessful.

"Listen Jasmine..." He started narrating.

It was Ummulkhayr's birthday Muslim had been wanting to come up with the best birthday surprise for her. Her family went on a vacation to the UAE. Therefore, the long distance between them wasn't helping matters.

Since they were very good at pulling pranks on each other, Muslim decided to pull one on Ummulkhayr after a long time. They were the best of friends after all so that had been very normal between them and somehow a way of building a strong platonic bond aside the romantic one they had already. He decided he should call her, felling he had the best idea in mind.

Meanwhile, Ummulkhayr was too immersed in looking at the sky, admiring Allah's creation. She leaned on the balcony of her room on the ninth floor of the building. She was the only one there, judging by being the only female amongst them–her elder brothers; Jafar and Zubairu.

Her father, Isma'il Gambo couldn't make it with them, that man was always on one business trip or the other. And about her mother, Sabira, she passed away while giving birth to her so she didn't even know her. She lived with her step mom, Maryam who was also her mother's younger sister–her aunt. Maryam was also not with them because she had a conference to attend as an ambassador. And that way, she had the loneliest life if not for her brothers that were eventually getting swamped and then Muslim, who had always been there for her.

Ummulkhayr's phone rang and she picked it from the table behind her. She smiled at the caller ID then answered the call with a wide grin, her back leaning on the balcony and her legs crossed.

"Hey babe." She beamed. "What's up?"

"Hi." Muslim's voice was so cold.

"What happened to your voice, are you okay?" She worriedly asked.

"Well, actually Ummulkhayr..." He suppressed a laughter that was threatening to escape. "...I just feel I can't keep this anymore and it's better if I tell you." Muslim said and immediately muted the call on his end to laugh before she even reacted.

"Oh I'm scared, what's that?" She sounded scared really.

"I'm sick and tired of faking it, I can't pretend anymore. I never loved you, that was all an act and I can't take it anymore as my fiancée is tired of tolerating, so I would appreciate if you walk out of my life and I hope you do comprehend. Thanks." He laughed again, not before muting the call. He didn't end it, waiting for what she would say.