Chapter 20

..."that's more like my brother," Aisha yelled.

*

Her face literally doubled in size, her eyes, nose, cheeks and chin turned red as a result of the immense pain and lots of cries or maybe she was just exaggerating it.

"You really need to go to hospital Jay," Hafsat suggested, sounding worried. She just came back Humayd's school. "You threw up everything and you're really having fever Jay."

Jasmine shook her head and said, "just get me some painkillers for the stomach ache, I'm used to the fever of a thing."

"I can't just give you any painkiller, we need to see doctor. Come on get up." Hafsat insisted.

"You know what? You should take a hot shower for now. I'll make breakfast meanwhile." Hafsat told her friend before she ambled out of the room.

Jasmine undressed and tied her bathrobe and stepped into the shower, she took a long hot relaxing bath ere blow drying her shoulder length curly hair.

She got dressed in a white, black and steel blue Ankara, sewn into a straight gown–with flounce sleeves and bateau neckline and closed slit in a way that concealed her slender legs—and draped a bluish grey veil around her cute figure. Clasping her feet in a pair of flat glittery slippers–just how much she loves glitters–she stuffed the things she thought she would need in a glittery silver clasp purse.

"Where to?" Hafsat asked Jasmine after checking her out.

"To my in-law's house." She replied, rolling her eyes cutely.

"We need to go to hospital first, aye? And you're not leaving me all alone."

"I'll go to the hospital on my way back, just don't worry about me. And for leaving you alone, I'm sorry I have to. Staying indoors is not helping matters." Jasmine stated the obvious.

"Yeah sure. After all, I'm used to being alone, I'm resuming to work next week in shaa Allah."

"Let's have breakfast. It's fries with omelette and ketchup then tea of your choice." Hafsat said as she ensconced herself on the soft carpet in the middle of the living room while Jasmine sat on a couch as she couldn't sit and fold her legs on the floor because of the dress she was wearing.

"Thank you," Jasmine thanked. "I'll wash it down with a glass or warm milk instead, do you have?"

"Well yeah but it's cold, maybe you should heat it up." Hafsat said as she sipped from her cup.

"No I'll take it that way," Jasmine said as she made her way to refrigerator and brought out a bottle of milk.

Taking off her veil, she sat on the couch and placed her plate on the arm of the couch and her glass of milk on the floor. They ate silently with different thoughts running on their minds.

"You can use my car." Hafsat said.

"Yeah that's exactly what I'm going to do." Jasmine said with a little laugh.

"Drive safely, and I'm just a call away when you need me."

"Why are you so extra-caring?" Jasmine narrowed her eyes at Hafsat.

"What do you mean?" Hafsat asked back.

"Well, I'm running late. You'll explain when I come back." Jasmine said and sauntered out of the house after draping her veil and picking up the car keys and her clasp purse.

She inhaled deeply and released the breath through her mouth, she whispered duas as she approached the car.

"Hope this goes well," she told herself after igniting the car, thinking about what she might meet at her in-law's because things might or might not go well, considering the situation. She forced herself to believe she was visiting them as relatives and not in-laws.