Spike - Memory pt2

Spike's POV

She shivered immediately as we exited the shop, so I shrugged off my jacket and draped it around her shoulders. She thanked me and slipped her hands into the sleeves that were way too long for her. 

My body longed to touch her, hold her, tell her how much I cared for her and that everything would right itself. But I didn't want to make her uncomfortable - in her eyes, I was a perfect stranger. But she did want to stay with me over Buffy, which inflated my ego more than it should have. There must have been something in her that knew how much I care for her. That I wouldn't let anything else happen. 

I stole a glance and she was worrying her bottom lip between her teeth. 

"Am I really your girlfriend?" she asked, her eyes fixed on the street ahead. 

I blinked at her question and despite it all, I smirked, "Yes."

"How - how could I ever pull someone like you?" she muttered, still not looking at me.

I chuckled. At least she hadn't lost her sense of humour. But a frown crinkled her forehead and she started cracking her knuckles - something she always does when she's nervous.

"You're joking, right? I'm the one who's the luckiest son of a bitch in the world to have you, pet."

She blushed a deep pink. 

"Where do - I mean... Where do we live?"

I smiled again, "Promise you won't freak out?"

"Promise."

I tentatively took her hand and led her into the cemetery. 

----------- 

Between the choice of our bed, our sofa and the armchair, she chose to perch on the sofa which was the nearest choice to the door. Although it hurt a little, I understood. 

"Is anything coming back to you yet?" I asked as I collected some of her pyjamas from the dresser. I picked her favourite fluffy pink ones. I hoped she might remember how I brought them for her when we took a trip to LA.  

"Nothing more." 

"What do you remember?"

"I remember your name, William. But that man said you're called Pike... or was it Bike?"

"Spike. But it's just a nickname. You can call me William if you'd like."

"That's a strange nickname." she remarked, accepting the bundle of clothes with a grateful smile. Still, it sparked no recognition. 

I wondered why she remembered my human name and not the alias I've been using for the past century. She always called me Spike, so it puzzled me. 

She waited silently on the sofa, tapping her foot.

"Oh. The bathroom's over there." I pointed in the direction and she beelined for it, locking the door with a clank behind her. She reopened it soon though, smelling of soap and fresh laundry. 

The bandage that was clumsily wrapped around her head was now clutched in her hand. The wound was nasty, but thankfully not too deep.

"Got any more bandages?"

I nodded, "This way."

She sat at the table and I didn't miss her shoulders dropping as she relaxed a little. I put the new bandage on the table and pulled up another chair in front of her, and I was surprised she didn't flinch away.

"May I?" 

She nodded.

I smoothed her hair from her face and her eyes fluttered closed.

Her skin was hot under my touch, but she didn't seem to mind my cool hands as I covered up the cut and secured the cotton tightly in place. When she opened her eyes, my hands were still on the sides of her head. I slowly moved them down to cup her cheeks and she flushed again.

I lent in and brushed my lips against hers, feather-like, and she sighed, a little nervously, into my mouth. I pulled back and she smiled, touching my cheek.

I was about to rise, show her over to the bed, but she grabbed my face and pulled me in for another kiss. It was still gentle and delicate, careful, but I was lulled into submission by the surprise of it. I dumbly kissed her back and stopped feeling so concerned, the only thing in my mind was her. Then she pulled away and told me quietly, "I... I remember one more thing."

"What's that?"

"That I love you."