Buffy Imagine - Meeting the Parents

"Are you nervous?"

Buffy presses her lips together and nods furiously, "Yup."

I take her hand and squeeze gently. "It'll be okay." I promise. We take a deep breath together, stepping through her front door.

"Mom! We're here!"

Today, it's my first time meeting Buffy's mom. Well, I've seen her in passing, but we've never held a conversation. That changes tonight: I'm going round for dinner and, more importantly, Buffy's going to tell her that we're an item.

I don't know her well enough to know how she'll react, but if she's anything like her daughter, she'll be accepting. Nevertheless, it's daunting for both of us. 

We go into the dining room, where the table is already set. Just as we take our seats, the doorbell rings again. 

I shoot Buffy a worried look and he lets out a shaky sigh. "I invited Xander and Willow round, you know, just in case things go south." 

"Oh, that's fine. But things aren't going to go south." I add. 

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Ten minutes later, the four of us have settled into a nervous silence - the anticipation almost palpable. I wish it didn't have to be like this. I wish 'coming out' wasn't even a thing so Buffy could say, 'I met this girl and she's great' and her mum would smile and nod without the bat of an eyelash and ask 'What's her name?'. But it's 1997 and life's not fair. 

"I hope everyone's hungry," Joyce calls from the kitchen as she emerges with a giant casserole dish.

"It smells lovely, Miss Summers," Willow says politely. 

"Please, call me Joyce." 

We help ourselves to the steaming, hearty casserole - which tastes as heavenly as it smells - and Joyce smiles, "It's nice to properly meet you all. It's good that Buffy's made so many friends here already. I was worried, given her tendency to, you know, make up silly words and burn down gym-"

"Mom!" Buffy hisses and Joyce gives her a warm, innocent smile. We already know all about Buffy's last school but it's still fun to watch her get flustered. 

After dinner, which I thoroughly enjoyed, Buffy squeezes my hand under the table. 

The conversation drifts to somewhere I did expect it to end up at some point: "So, Y/N, do you have a boyfriend?" 

"Urm, no. I - I'm not interested in boys."

"Oh, I know how they can be at that age. You just feel like giving up on them all together!"

I catch Xander stifling a laugh and Buffy squeezes my hand a little harder. 

"Urm, Mom?" I can tell how nervous she is, although she's putting on a brave face. Typical Buffy.

Her mum's gaze flits to her and she looks at her intently. 

"Y/N has a girlfriend," she reveals as casually as she can, looking down at her empty plate. "And... I'm... I'm her girlfriend."

I never knew a noise could be so painful. Well, a lack of noise, really. The silence that descends makes me hold my breath and palms sweat. 

Joyce swallows and I can almost see the cogs in her brain whirring. She slowly raises her hand, tenderly resting it over Buffy's. 

"As long as you're happy, I think that's great. Now, who wants dessert?"

Buffy finally looks up with shining eyes. The soft smile they exchange feels too raw, too personal to be apart of, but I realise that... I am going to be apart of things like these. I love Buffy and she loves me, so... 

Joyce returns to the kitchen and everyone collectively releases a deep breath. The fact Joyce went to get our dessert - like nothing has changed - makes my heart happy. She doesn't see her daughter any differently because of who she loves. I'm so glad because that's the way it should be.

I kiss the side of Buffy's head and wipe the silent tears cascading down her cheeks. "It's okay, baby," I whisper and she turns to hug me. I hug her tightly to my chest, "I'm proud of you."

She pulls back, exhaling deeply, and then grins at her friends across the table. Xander shoots her a thumbs up and Willow is smiling wider than I've ever seen before. 

I'm so proud of her. 

Hope you enjoyed the imagine (remember to vote, comment etc🤗)! 

If you are lgbtq+, remember that you are valid and I support you with all my heart! If things suck at the moment, it will get better, even if it may not feel that way right now. And also, a problem shared is a problem halved x 🏳‍🌈