Willow Imagine - Birthday

"So, Y/N, I - I was wondering if you were doing anything this Saturday?"

Your heartrate doubles, but you play it cool and press your lips together to hide a broad smile, "I'm free on Saturday."

"I - I'm having a small party for my birthday - well, it's not really a party party but there will be cake!" 

Willow chews on the end of her pencil as she waits for your response. It doesn't take long for you to nod and break out into a grin. "Sounds cool."

"Cool. I'll text you the address. It's gonna be at my friend Buffy's house because she's planned the whole thing and my parents' won't let me have friends round."

"That's fine. How many people will be there?" You ask, a little nervously. You've never met Willow's friends. Sure, you've sat next to Willow for a year in French, but you barely hang out outside of school. You're sure Willow's friends are nice but still, it's a bit scary. 

"Me, Buffy," she counts on her fingers, "Xander, Giles, Cordelia... That's it." 

"Giles? The - the librarian?" 

She blushes, "He's a family friend."

Later that night, Willow sends you a text: Forgot to say, the theme is Under the Sea! 

You lay back on your bed and stare at the text. First, you mentally scheduled a shopping trip to buy a costume. Maybe you could go as a lobster... Secondly, you pray that you won't embarrass yourself on the day...

---------

When you arrive at the address Willow texted you, you stand on the doorstep for a solid five minutes, working up the courage to knock. You can hear voices inside - a few people are talking in the hallway.

"It's Willow's birthday though, Xander." A female voice is saying.

"Yes, yes. But someone who's not part of the gang. I just don't know if we'll keep the slayage a secret."

"Well, we'll have to, won't we? Willow must really like her to invite her today."

"Yeah..." the male voice agrees reluctantly.

"Wait. Xander, are you jealous?"

"No!" the voice grows louder, "Me? Jealous? I've never been jealous in my life!"

You knock on the door. You had no idea what Xander meant by 'slayage', but you presumed that the person Willow must really like is you. It makes your stomach flip - but in a good way. 

A short, smiling girl with gorgeous blonde hair opens the front door. You stand blinking awkwardly so she speaks first.

"Hey. Y/N, right? I'm Buffy."

"Hey Buffy." You smile in return. Buffy just looks so... is it too forward to say sexy? She's wearing a sparkly purple bralette and a long, green skirt - she's obviously a mermaid. "I love your outfit."

"And I... like yours." Although she tries to look sincere, the compliment definitely wasn't. You give her a polite smile and step into the house. You spy a tall guy at the end of the hall who waves a hand - you recognise him as Xander from your History class. 

You sigh out in relief when Willow comes out of the living room wearing a costume that is just as dorky as your own. While you chose to be a lobster, Willow is dressed as a blue octopus. 

You meet Xander formally (he's in a shark onesie), Cordelia (she's dressed like a cheetah but claims to be a catfish) and Giles (he didn't dress up). They all seem really nice, although the weird conversation you overheard sticks in your mind. 

Before you know it, you're deep into a debate about the best seafood with Xander when Buffy interrupts, ushering you both to the kitchen. 

"Cake time," she smiles, retrieving a large, iced cake from the fridge. Handwritten icing reads Happy Birthday Willow.

Buffy opens a pack of orange candles that you start to place in the cake and Xander stands by the door, on lookout duty. 

You follow Buffy, who is carrying the cake carefully, into the living room.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!

--------------

"Hey, Y/N can I get you a drink?" Cordelia offers after the cake is cut and everyone's busy scoffing it.

"Sure," you follow her into the kitchen and once out of earshot from everyone she turns to you with piercing eyes.

"I've been trying to figure you out all night and I can't. It's probably because I'm not a lesbian, but I'm usually amazing at reading people."

You blink at her in surprise (and confusion). "Huh?"

"All night I've been trying to pick up on any you-liking-Willow vibes but I literally can't tell. As you probably already know, Willow's like totally in love with you - and I wanted to see if you felt anything for her before she goes breaking her heart."

"Sorry, what?"

"Oh, come on. She's got a total hard-on for you. It's obvious. Well Xander and Buffy are stupid but Giles and I have picked up on it. We're very socially aware." she says matter-of-factly, "So do you like her back? Would you say yes if she asked you on a date?"

"Sorry... what?" you repeat helplessly. 

"Come on! Do you like her?!"

"Uh, well... I mean... if she asked me out, I'd say yes."

Cordelia holds up both her hands. "That's all I need to know. Thanks." she adds, although it feels insincere. 

She walks out of the kitchen, leaving you alone with your thoughts. You can't believe that just happened. 

"Everything okay?" Willow asks chirpily as she enters the kitchen. Her octopus costume hits the sides of the archway as she goes over to the island to get herself a drink. 

You jump at the sound of her voice but she doesn't notice. "I think so." 

"Good..." she says uncertainly before smiling in that cute way that always makes your heart melt, "Wanna play charades?" 

You nod and follow her into the living room. Cordelia gives you a smile as you sit on the couch next to her. 

"Expect an awkward date proposal in the next three to five business days." she smirks.

"Okay." you whisper back, heart racing. 

You can't wait