Spike Imagine - I'll Walk You Home

It's been a fortnight since it happened.

I was in the cemetery, sitting cross legged in front of my father's gravestone. It was the fifth-year anniversary since his passing, and I was shamelessly reminiscing. Admittedly, I was a little lost in my thoughts as I wondered through the graveyard, back to my house. 

The sky was a canvas of black with pinpricks of stars dotted around. I like to think of my dad as one, gazing down at me from above. I miss him.

I heard the deliberate padding of soft footsteps behind me, so I turned around. There was a tall, muscular man standing before me. He had jet black hair and a gnarly grin that ripped through his otherwise young-looking face. He ran at me and I froze. I couldn't think, I couldn't breathe as he knocked me to the ground and straddled me. I had enough time to examine my attacker's face: protruding brow, pasty skin and a set of fangs which glistened in the moonlight. He leant down slowly, and I screamed so loudly, I thought my lungs would burst. 

I screwed my eyes shut as a piercing pain shot down my neck. I heard a shout, "Buffy! Over here!" and then the sensation ceased. I dared to open my eyes and the vampire was gone. Instead, a short girl with blonde hair and a leather jacket was peering down at me.

"Hey! Sorry about that!" she smiled.

----------

Since that day, Buffy and her friends have kind of taken me under their wing. She's really kind, funny (and obviously badass) so I got over the initial debilitating embarrassment quite quickly.

What hasn't faded, however, is the trauma. 

I wasn't dumfounded to find out about vampires and demons - Sunnydale is one hell of a weird place - but I was surprised to find Buffy the Vampire Slayer had allied herself with an actual monster.

Well, I used the term 'monster' loosely - he's practically harmless due to a chip in his brain. His name is Spike. He's got slicked back blond hair, a wardrobe that consists exclusively of red and black, and a 'bad-boy' attitude that I can see right through. He's a softie really. 

What's even more surprising, I suppose, is that Spike has been tasked with chaperoning me literally everywhere.

I was reluctant at first, insisting I was fine, but Buffy knew better. I was visibly anxious when it was time to leave her house and step outside: rapid breaths, sweating, fidgeting hands. I'm grateful for it, though, because Spike makes me feel safe. 

"I'll walk you home," he'd said, looking me in the eyes which sent a chill down my spine. 

"Thanks," I'd whispered shyly, and ever since it's been a daily occurrence. 

It's been two weeks, and I feel like I should be more independent by now.

"What's on your mind, pet?" Spike asks, looking down at me curiously. We wander back to my house after hanging out with Buffy and the gang. 

"I don't know, Spike. I just feel so helpless because I'm too scared to walk alone... Does that sound weird?"

"Not at all," he reassures warmly, "In a town like this, you'd be stupid not to be."

"Yeah..." I trial off as we turn a corner. From here, I can see the exact spot I was attacked, and it makes my heart pick up automatically.

Spike can sense it, he says "It's alright, pet. I'm here."

He drapes an arm around my shoulder, and I instantly feel better.

Over the short time we've got to know each other, I've grown... rather fond of him. Ok, I have a giant crush on him. I inhale the night air deeply as we wonder on, the wind whipping my hair around my freezing face. 

When we get to my doorstep, Spike says, as he always does, "And this is where I leave you."

I smile at him, and he kisses my forehead which makes me feel so happy and sad at the same time. Happy because he literally kissed me, but sad because... I think he sees me as a kid sister or something, or a weak girl who needs protecting.

I don't.

"You can come in if you want," I offer, "My mum's out and we have tea," I smile, unlocking the door and I'm instantly engulfed in a wave of warmth. 

He looks from side to side, considering, "Mmmh. Ok, just because it's bloody freezing."

He slips in after me and shuts the door with a click. He shrugs off his duster, hanging it on my banister. I head straight for the kitchen and put the kettle on. 

I look up and Spike's leaning against the doorframe, looking as handsome as ever. He stares at me with a smirk and I swallow. "So, mug with a kitten or mug that says 'Hot Mama' on it?" 

He looks amused as he replies, "Gotta be Hot Mama, right?" 

I laugh and tell him to make himself at home. Without another word, he goes into my living room while I busy myself with the drinks. I try to ignore my hammering heart and indecent thoughts, but it's growing harder by the second.

"Here you are!" I say, a little too enthusiastically, handing him the scorching mug. 

"Thanks, pet." He blows on his tea, and I observe, taking a small sip of my own. There's a content moment of silence before he remarks, "Why's your heart beating so fast?"

"Huh?" I sputter, feeling my cheeks instantly redden.

"You alright?" he asks uncertainly, setting down his cup.

"Yup. Peachy. You know... just... trauma?" I dismiss with an unconvincing raised voice.

He sighs, "Come on, y/n. You can tell me."

"No, I can't." I reply instantly, running a hand down my face. He raises an eyebrow and those eyes... the way he stares at me is so bewitching. "Are you really going to make me say it?" 

"Yes."

I groan and throw my head back. "I might have a little... urm, a problem. I was worrying about it." I can't do it; I can't say it.

"What kind of problem?"

"Boy problem." I state, still to the ceiling.

"Ok..." he sounds surprised, "What's this boy like?"

"Well, he's more of a man. Older than me. Hot. Like literally makes-me-want-to-cry hot." I ramble.

I can hear the eyebrow raise in his voice - "Ok... so what's the issue?"

"I think I'm in the friendzone." 

At that, he lets out a sharp snort.

"What?!" I panic. 

"As if!" he cries, and I finally look at him. He's smiling to himself, "Trust me pet, nobody in their right mind would put you in the friendzone."

I'm not sure how to react. "Thank you...?" I say with a confused smile I can't help. 

He stares at me, and leans forward, "Any chance this guy likes you back?"

"No." I say automatically, breaking eye contact. "Is it hot in here? I... I'm gonna get some biscuits." I get up from my seat and escape to the kitchen. 

I grab the tin of digestives off the counter and when I turn around, Spike is standing right in front of me. He takes the tin and sets it aside. 

I take in a shaky breath.

Spike smirks. 

I can't breathe. 

He kisses me. 

I kiss him back and the whole world melts away. I stand taller on my tiptoes - he smells like shampoo and cigarettes. He pulls me closer by the waist and presses himself closer to me. 

"I knew it." he whispers into my mouth.

"What did you know?" I whisper back.

"That you liked me. I just wanted to make sure." 

He kisses me again and I wish I could stay in this moment forever.