Faith Imagine - Homecoming

set in s3's Homecoming

I won't lie. It hurt when Faith asked Buffy to go to the dance with her. Of course, I had no right to be hurt. Absolutely no right or rational reason. 

She's not my girlfriend.

I've only known her for a freaking month.

But she's the coolest person I've ever met. I don't buy the bullshit about fighting an alligator naked, but still, she is absolutely fascinating. I never want her to stop talking. Every little thing she does... I want to know everything about her. She oozes confidence and smells like cheap perfume - something I'd guess is unisex. She's effortlessly cool in a way that even she knows is captivating. 

So when Willow came up with the plan to stick Cordy and Buffy in the limo together, to work out their differences, how could I object? It meant that Faith and I both had to make our own way to The Bronze.

"Hey, gorgeous. Wow. Chick's got style when she wants to." Is the first thing Faith says to me when I open my front door to find her on my doorstep. It's not exactly a compliment, but it makes my insides cramp in a way which is not exactly unpleasant. 

"Thanks. I think?"

She laughs, "You look amazing!" she takes my gloved hands in hers, pulling me out of my doorway. A giggle escapes my lips as she spins me around, trying to get a good look at my whole outfit. When I catch myself grinning like an idiot, I force myself into a soft, toothless smile. I don't want Faith to see my teeth. Faith's teeth, however, shine in the moonlight and it makes the corners of my mouth itch. Her lips are painted a mauve that matches her dress and... wow. Her dress. 

"This is the part when you compliment my outfit." Faith hints. Luckily, there's amusement in her voice, otherwise I think I would have died on the spot.

"It suits you perfectly. It's so pretty. Where did you get it?"

She shrugs, "Eh, nowhere. Thanks, sweet pea."

My heart thrums at the pet name.

"Aren't you cold?" I ask, retrieving my own black jacket to protect me from the chill evening. Her arms are bare and I swear I notice her shiver. "You could borrow one of-"

"I'll be fine. Shall we?"

I nod, swiftly locking up and slipping my keys into my pocket (because yes, this dress is perfect - it has pockets).  In my head, I resolve to just enjoy a fun night out with my friend. I value her as a friend above all else and wouldn't want to lose that. 

"Willow's a good friend." Faith says as we fall into step, "But a fucking buzzkill for stealing my date."

I start to worry at her serious expression, but she cracks into a grin. 

"I'm kidding. Lighten up, sweet pea. Wouldn't rather be going with anyone else."

She links her arms through mine and unsurprisingly, it's freezing. Somehow, the contact still makes me clam up. I wish I wasn't so nervous.

I take a deep breath.

I'm fine. I'm cool. I'm breezy.

"So, I'm your date, am I?" I joke with a small smile.

Faith feigns offence, "Got someone you'd rather take?"

"Maybe. For all you know, I could have boys queuing around the block to dance with me."

"Well they can't now. You're mine." She pulls me ever so slightly closer and I can smell that perfume she always uses. Vanilla? Sandalwood? I take a deep breath and tell myself it's to calm my nerves.