Spike Imagine - Kitten Poker pt1

"I'm pretty sure this is illegal."

Spike snorts, "Since when has that stopped you?"

"I don't know. This just seems like a new low."

'The Lounge Room' is a sleazy bar located in the most run-down part of Sunnydale. I wasn't too surprised to find out that there were demons gambling in the basement, but I was surprised to hear what they gambled with. 

Kittens.

"Run over the plan again?" I request, looking up at Spike.

He sighs, "Play poker. Get information. Win poker."

"Save kittens." I add, while Spike shakes his head. I don't miss his little smile, though.  

"Be careful, y/n. These demons are sharper than you'd suspect. Play along and follow my lead, okay?"

Spike pushes the small of my back, guiding me into the room. The demons sitting around a circular green table all stand up at once.

A slimy green demon asks in an annoyed, gruff voice "Who is that ?"

"This is y/n, my girlfriend." Spike announces casually. 

I cough and shoot him a sharp look. He wishes.

The demon grunts and everyone sits back down, returning their stares back to their playing cards. 

I try my best to be inconspicuous, keeping my gaze down and perching myself on a stack on wooden boxes in the corner of the room. I notice a loose-skinned demon with big ears smiling at me. He waves. I give him an awkward smile back. 

"Come on, love. You don't have to sit all the way over there." Spike says devilishly.

I hold back my eye roll and get up. I walk over to him, not knowing what he wants me to do. His eyes say, 'Oh shit, what now?' so I access my inner actress and sit on his lap. 

His eyes widen and I smirk, making myself comfortable. "Is this what you had in mind?" I whisper into his ear flirtatiously. 

He clears his throat, "Deal me in." His voice sounds restrained; his body is rigid. I smirk. 

He picks up his cards, fanning them out. Another demon at the table speaks up, this one with a face like a shark, "How's this fair? Spike, you have to play on your own." 

The others mutter in agreement before I interject, "I don't even know how to play poker. I'm just here to see Spikey win me a kitten." I smile sweetly and Spike looks at me, pleased with my lie. I kiss him on the cheek to really sell it. 

The demons seem convinced. 

I'm way better at poker than Spike, and subtly help him win. We managed to gather some info about the latest big bad too, making it a pretty productive evening. 

At the end of the game, the green demon reluctantly pushes over the basket of kittens to us. I beam at the cuteness; we've managed to win four. Two are black, one is a pristine white and the other one's a tabby. "Aww, aren't you the cutest things I've ever seen?" I coo, stroking the tiny kittens. They're so soft. "I just want to scoop you all up, yes I do!" 

Spike tucks a strand of hair behind my ear, leaning in, "Aw, y/n. We almost did it." he whispers. 

I don't have time to dwell on my confusion because he wraps his hands around my waist, lifting me up. He stands next to me, one hand still around my waist. "Good game. We best be off." He flashes a charming smile before ushering me out of the room. I cling to the basket of kittens. 

Just as we're about to go out of the door, the shark demon snarls, "I thought I smelt something funny when you two came in." I don't dare to turn around. "He's brought a human."

A shocked gasp echoes through the room, "Run." Spike instructs and I do. I run up the stairs, out the door and into the darkened streets of Sunnydale without glancing back. "Sorry kittens!" I pant as I sprint, darting into an alleyway. I duck behind two giant dumpsters and wait. I carefully place the kittens down. "I'm so sorry for bouncing you guys around like that. I mean, a bumpy rescue's better than being eating by a bunch of demons though, right?" 

I stand up after catching my breath. The baby cats just sit patiently, I think one might have actually fallen asleep. I peek my head out of the alleyway but it's empty. A burst of worry shoots through my chest. I consider hiding with the kittens, but my gut urges me to look for Spike. I turn to double check on the kittens and as soon as I do, someone crashes into my back.

I'm knocked to the floor with a groan. "Spike! You're such an idiot!" I shout, pushing his body off me. I stand up and almost scream. 

It's not Spike.