Chapter 50 - Uncertainty

-A few moments ago before Scarlett entered the Mystic emporium-

John was just casually walking through Eld Street with Lunar closely following beside him. He didn't usually go for a walk at this time. John usually likes to time his walks with the Lunar when there are fewer people around, but he needed to clear his head from the conversation he just had with Onyx.

The weather was nice and thankfully not too crowded today on Eld Street. People were coming and going in and out of stores, carrying bags of goods they purchased. No one seemed to mind him any attention as he walked along.

John would go for these walks through Eld Street once in a while. It was to stretch his leg and make sure that he gave Lunar some needed exercise.

Eld Street was such a slum in the past and he didn't feel safe walking around back then, but now it isn't like that anymore. It was now a lot more vibrant. The street and all the buildings around it were fixed up and modernized, while keeping the aesthetics of the buildings to something similar to that of Victorian architecture. The buildings were two to three stories high and packed tightly together with some of them being painted a bright color. There were also countless canted bay windows hanging from the sides, many of them around the ground level being used as a store display.

 There were also countless canted bay windows hanging from the sides, many of them around the ground level being used as a store display

John had never been to a Victorian city before, but he imagined it would look something similar to where he was.

He continued to walk along the street until Lunar started acting out

Lunar: "Waah!" he squeaked out while tugging on John's pants with his mouth.

John: "Whoa! What's gotten into you?" confused by Lunar's sudden behavior.

The malamute was very docile and well-behaved. Always just quietly following John around and trying to get his attention constantly to be petted. He never acted out like this in public, so it was surprising. Lunar made a waving motion with his paw and tapped the ground with it. This caused John's eyes to widen in surprise as he realized something.

The motion Lunar was making meant it was time to feed him.

John: "Oh! Is it feeding time?"

Lunar: "Woof." he barked in a way that seemed to confirm what John suspected.

John: "OK. Let's head back then," he said while walking back to his store.

Lunar was a very smart dog. Able to make gestures and bark in a way that his intention could be understood. Lunar was so good at it, that sometimes John wondered if he was a little too smart.

He knew that this dog wasn't normal. John had lived in this world for twenty years with this malamute, which was strange in itself. Not too many big dog breeds make it to that age, and definitely not without some sort of health problem like Lunar, who never got sick or showed any signs of an aging dog.