Chapter 24 - Expanding Conspiracy

"Unlike most of society's collective history, the founding of the university is based in fact and not myth. Before there was even the city of Graheel, there existed seven great archmages. Each had their own field of research and study. It was archmage Cain Mired that convinced the other six archmages to join forces to expand their research and pursue greater knowledge together. Thus, they built the university as a means to train their disciples and future generation in the arcane arts.

"They named the university 'Graheel', after the name of a famous giant known in legend to pursue lost knowledge. Over centuries, the university expanded and a city was built around the institution. In time, the city itself would be named after the university which it was built around.

"The seven archmages would pass through history, but in memory of them founding the university, seven colleges would be created in their honor. Each college would be named after an aspect of their personality and past, while embodying the values of each of the founders. Anybody attempting to become a student at Graheel mast be accepted into one of these Colleges. These colleges are known as: Gilded Sun, Lionheart, Shroom Pact, Silverwing, Grey Scale, Ember Gear, and Arcane Eye."

—Writings of Archmage Setta on "The Founding of Graheel and it's University"

A few days have passed since the incident with Jafar in the library.

It was the middle of the afternoon. Alan was currently standing in a large sparring ring. The ring was made of stone and was at least 7000 square meters (7600 yards) in size with giant glowing crystals on the edges. The crystals were generating a very faint field around the area that could just barely be seen with the naked eye, but clearly felt by those who could manipulate aether.

Alan had donned a thick set of padded training armor with a helmet. He was taking a defensive stance with a practice sword. Across from him was Cris, who wore a similar set of training gear and was also taking a similar stance to Alan. They were both prepared to spar against each other.

Sitting on the sideline was Jafar. He looked uninterested in what was going on in the ring, and instead was reading a book. Not paying attention to what was happening in front of him.

Cris: "Hey Jafar, do mind giving us a countdown."

The Ember Gear student let out a long sigh, before pulling himself away from his book.

Jafar: "Fine. On the count of three. One two...THREE!" he yelled out.

As soon as Jafar yelled out, Cris dashed towards Alan at an impossible speed. He had reinforced his body with magic with the fire element, to allow him greater movement and strength beyond the limits of a human. However, Alan had also done the same, but with the wind element. Allowing him even faster movement than even Cris.

Cris swung his blade towards Alan. In one quick motion, Alan stepped to the side causing Cris to swing wide, missing him. Alan took this opportunity to make a counter attack while Cris was wide open. He thrust his sword at Cris, hitting his side and causing him to back away from Alan.

Cris: "Gah! That's a good hit. I see your learning. Last time I did that, you flinched and I sent you flying," he said, complementing Alan.

Alan: "Yeah, that's not gonna happen again."

Cris: "Well I guess I gotta pick up the pace then," he said in a confident tone.

With a quick swing of his blade, fire ignited around it. There was now fire surrounding Cris's blade, both enhancing its destructive ability and range. He was also putting more aether into his body enhancement magic, creating a slightly reddish aura around him.