Chapter 42 - Prelude To a Revelation

"Of the three big cults, the Endless War cult is the most straightforward with their intentions. As their name would imply, they seek to perpetuate a never ending war, and will do any means to accomplish this. Why they seek to start a never ending war varies from member to member. Some see warfare as a means of furthering human development, others seem to derive a strange sense of normality from existing in a warzone and wish to preserve it, but most of the membership seem to get some sort of pleasure from combat.

"The way they recruit new members into their cult is by means of a type of violent indoctrination. They take prisoners they capture in battle and make them fight each other to the death, turning these fights into a form of entertainment for other members of the cult to watch. These prisoners are also forced to pray at effigies of the cult's god when they are not in combat. They do this for a long period of time that can go on for months to years, constantly making prisoners kill each other, and for some reason many survivors of this gladiatorial culling end up joining the cult.

"From one interview from a former member that managed to escape the cult: 'It was a constant daily affair to watch fellow prisoners being taken away to fight and not return. Even being forced to fight and kill former friends with your bare hands was normal for us. We were constantly killing each other and it just made you numb to killing or being killed.'

"Psychologists have coined the term 'Murder indoctrination'. They surmised that the constant trauma of having to repeatedly kill other people make one more malleable and easier for the Endless War cult to brainwash into joining their ranks.

"Many believe that the cult was responsible for the political unrest that led to the current civil war in the former territories of Gix, now known as the Warring States. While this is in line with the cult's beliefs, there is no definitive proof of them causing the civil war, but their involvement in perpetuating it is undeniable.

"They operate as a very unreliable mercenary group within the Warring States, constantly joining and switching sides in the competing interest of the ongoing civil war. This has resulted in the war lasting much longer than it should have."

—Writings of Light Scholar Lukka on "The Machinations of the Nameless Cults"

Alan and Sere were waiting in one the private research labs of the Ember Gear collage. The space had all kinds of heavy machinery and equipment, all for students to build and experiment on various kinds of projects. The Ember Gear college was known as the college of engineers, so it was not unsurprising that students from this college would have access to labs full of that kind of equipment.

 The Ember Gear college was known as the college of engineers, so it was not unsurprising that students from this college would have access to labs full of that kind of equipment

Sere and Alan sat around a nearby table feeling awkward and a little skittish. They were a little apprehensive of all of the machinery around them without Jafar around. They didn't know what most of this machinery was and were afraid of it breaking and being accused of damaging it, so they were not willing to touch anything.