Misery

2020 Sakhir (dec. 6.)

Max's POV:

Almost a year past since I last talked normally with Charles. This year's been fucked up because of covid. We had half of the race and only from summer and even had 2 gp in the same circuits 2 times. This season has been shit for both of us. This race was my fifth dnf and Charles' fourth. We crashed and I got out of the car very angrily. I knew my dad was here and he will be very angry when I get back. We got out of the car at the same time and I kicked the wall as hard as I could. Charles immediately turned around to look at me and I couldn't hold myself back.

"AAAAAARRRGH" -I screamed and then walked back to the paddock

In my box we talked about what happened with my engineers and they tried to calm me down. Then I noticed my dad looking at me and I went up to him.

"You know too that it was not only my fault." -I told him and he looked angry

"I know that that fucking idiot monegasque turned on you but it was your fault too!" -he yelled and even more but I couldn't hear him when I saw Charles was running away

"I have to go now" -I said and hurried after him

He ran to the parking lot and I saw him sitting down next to a car in the end of the lot. His back was against the wheel and he pulled up his legs and put his hands on them. He was still in his race suit so I guess something bad happened in the garage. Maybe it's the worst timing to talk with him normally after such a long time and Im angry at him cause of the crash but I cant leave him in such a bad state.

"Hey..." -I said when I got closer

He looked up at me and I saw his eyes were red from crying.

"If you are because of the crash, I am sorry." -he said with a broken voice

I sat next to him

"I'm sorry too" -I said and looked at him

"You wanted time and it's okay" -he said and gave me a sad smile

"The dnf was not only your fault. I made a mistake too. And that car of yours is shit" -I said and we both laughed a bit

"Yeah you are right" -he said and looked at me

I noticed something strange on his neck, but as soon as he realized that I was looking at it he covered it with his hand.

"Don't blame yourself for everything." -I said and hugged him softly

I felt that he was thinking for a second but then he put his arms around my body too. I felt that he rested his head on my shoulder and I felt my heart sink knowing that I let him down. And now I saw his neck better than before and there was a cut. Did he do it to himself? I started worrying. I started caressing his back and I felt that he started to relax in my arms.

"Can I give you a lift to your hotel?" -I asked and he pulled away

"Are you sure that it's okay?" -he asked while whipping away his last tear drops

"Yes" -I said and he smiled slightly

"I go change and get my things and we can go" -he said and we stood up

I went back to get my things too and fortunately my dad had already left when I got back. I went to my driver's room and changed my clothes. I packed my things in my bag and went back my car which was a white Audi A8. Just when I opened the car's trunk I saw Charles coming.