Chapter Twenty Eight- Radio

Moth

I lead Frankie and the members of Eclipse into the studio, greeting the secretary before walking straight back to the room Ezra and I are always in. He turns toward us when we step in and smiles. "Hey, Moth and friends. I'm Ezra. Before I say too much, I need to let you all know that this is an adult industry, and I'll be treating you like adults while you're here. That being said, I need all of you boys and girls to not repeat anything that comes out of my mouth to your mommy and daddy, okay? Pinkie swears."

"We're not babies, you know? You don't have to act like we're stupid" Caspian grumbles rhetorically, not taking too kindly to being spoken to like a toddler. "And I have two dads."

"Congratulations. I don't care. Now, I hardly remember your little band, so who wants to introduce themselves? The only ones I know are Barbie and Dupree." Ezra points out, referring to Frankie and Sam (she/her) who's fronting right now.

I'm not sure why her relationship with her parents is so complicated, but Laila always lets someone else front when she knows someone will bring up her last name. I know she'll open up to us eventually. Everyone in the band has baggage they deal with like why Gwen had a kid at 14 and Caspian needed to be adopted by his dads. Maybe that's why I'm so attached to them. The band formed a year after Fizzle moved out, so they're like my family now. Laila doesn't have that connection with us yet, but she will. The two Sam's will too.

I've noticed they all have different styles. Sam (she/her) parts her hair on the side and wears more revealing clothes. She has on a top that shows her cleavage and a skirt nearly short enough for her ass to show. Caspian peeked a few times hoping to catch a glimpse while she was walking. Sam noticed but didn't mention it. I think she likes Cas more than she lets on. Laila does too. It's almost comical how both girls fawn over Caspian, but Sam (he/him) despises him.

"I'm Gwen. Backup vocals and rhythm guitar." She announces, flipping her blonde hair off her shoulder. She's in pink too. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if people think she's the Barbie in the song we're going to hear today.

"Lead singer usually plays rhythm, and backup plays lead. You weren't good enough to cut it?" Ezra asks boldly. I know Gwen probably seems like just a kid to him, but she can be pretty... feral when she's upset.

She narrows her eyes at him and pulls her hand back. "Your golden boy sucks at timing, so I got the role by default. Moth is a good singer, but we all have our strengths."

He doesn't look too shocked. He's told me before that my timing is off when I play and sing at the same time, but he looks mildly impressed that she had the balls to stand up to him.

"I'm Jonis. I play bass." He takes Gwen's hand, trying to change the topic.

"You're the one who sat the whole time. I'm not going to presume to know anything about you, but it looks really lazy." Ezra puts a finger up when Jonis tries to explain and continues to talk. "And if you say something about how music is for listening and not watching, I'm going to assume you've never been to a good concert before. Next time you play live, engage with the audience more. You're good, you just need more connection."

Jonis doesn't bother to argue, simply nodding in response. Ezra's critiques are usually spot on, though it's hard to take them when they sound more like insults.

"That leaves drummer boy." Ezra looks at Caspian. "You've got a lot of pent-up frustration in there, huh? Try boxing or something and stop taking your anger out on your instrument. Cracking your cymbals is stupid."

"I like how it sounds when they're cracked. I like playing loud."

"At a certain point, hitting it harder doesn't make it louder. If you're trying to keep up, you should have anyone hooked up to an amp turn their volume down so you don't have to try so hard. Oh, and for the record, you play music for people to listen to, and if people liked how cracked cymbals sounded, they'd sell them like that."