Chapter Eighteen- Deadbeat to Dad

Chapter Eighteen-

Moth

"Hopefully tomorrow will go better," I admit, rolling onto my back as I talk to Frankie on the phone.

My first day at school sucked. Nobody likes a transfer in the middle of a semester. Especially not a stupid one who has no idea what they're doing and needs constant one-on-one help from the teachers. This school is so prissy. Everyone is an honors student and there's a uniform I didn't know about. Everyone else was in button-ups and ties and I was wearing ripped-up clothes and dirty sneakers.

"I'd die to see pictures of you all dressed up in your new uniform. Send some, okay?"

I smile at the sound of his voice. He doesn't sound too sad. That's good. "I will. How's school been for you?"

"Riding with Will in the afternoon sucks. He's always sweaty after practice so he stinks. I miss not having you flirting with me all day, but aside from that it's been okay."

Part of me wants to push him to say more when I hear his voice waver toward the end. He's probably trying not to worry me, and I know I shouldn't be worrying because I know Frankie is tougher than everyone else gives him credit for. He can hold his own and deal with anyone who messes with him. I'm more concerned about how far he'll let things go before he feels the need to stand up for himself.

"Okay. That's good. Don't let people pick on you while I'm gone. They can only walk on you if you let them."

"It's not that easy. I'm smaller than them. If I stand up for myself and run my mouth, they'll beat me up." He sighs, and I hear him shuffle before huffing softly. "I don't want to talk about this. What was the news about your music?"

I reach over to grab the card from my nightstand, looking down at it as I speak. "I looked it up and this guy's studio is less than an hour away. I figured if I'm going to be near LA for a while, I could see if he's interested in working with me as a solo musician. Does that make me a sellout?"

Frankie laughs. "No. Of course, it doesn't. You're not selling anything yet anyway. It won't do any harm just to talk to him and see what options you have. Maybe he'll let you record a song. You'll still come back to the band whenever you can."

I smile and nod though I know he can't see it. "Yeah. I'll let you know what happens. My dad takes my phone at 8, and I'm sure you're going to bed soon. I love you, Barbie. I'll call you tomorrow."

"I love you too. Bye, Ken." He answers, hanging up right on cue.

My dad tries to open the door, groaning when he realizes it's locked. "I told you to keep this door unlocked. You better open it right now if you want to keep it attached to the hinges."

I roll my eyes and open the door, looking up at the man who seems like a complete stranger to me. Appearance-wise, I favor him over my mom. I have his sharp facial features, bushy eyebrows, forest green eyes, and build as well. Fizzle favors our mom. His face is soft and gentle, feminine almost. He's small and petite like her, and although his eyes are green too, they look lighter than mine. I hate that I look so much like someone I barely know.

"I live here now and it's my room. You weren't even going to knock. What if I was naked?" I snap at him, staring straight into his eyes and glaring daggers to stand my ground. I'm not going to give in to this deadbeat alcoholic who didn't give a shit about me until the government shoved me down his throat.

"I bought the house, so it's my room. I'm letting you live in it. I don't care if you're naked, you have a friend over, or you just don't want me in here. It's my house and my rules, understand?"