Chapter Twenty Three- Kiss

Frankie

I've had perfect attendance since I started grade school. I only missed a few days when I was too sick to go, but I skipped out on every opportunity I had to skip school for no reason. I never saw a point in ditching because learning is fun for me. I love being able to figure things out, and I like knowing that I'm smarter than most kids my age. I like the praise I get from teachers when they realize how different I am from Noel and Will.

I've had perfect attendance until today. I couldn't bring myself to go. Not when I know what's waiting for me there. School isn't about learning anymore. It's a constant battle, and I'm losing. I know if I walk through the halls there will be snide remarks, cruel comments, and laughter. They've probably spray painted 'Carrie' on my locker by now, and even if I run from class to class, they'll catch me. I'm tired of getting teased and nothing happening about it. I'm tired of the worthless teachers acting like they don't hear the shit that gets said to me. I'm tired of the kids in the hallway looking down and speeding past when they catch Mason and his friends beating me up. I'm tired of feeling so helpless and weak.

Sawyer told me I could stay home for a few days if I needed to, but that I'd have to go back eventually. I get why. I can't graduate if I don't show up to class. Gwen offered to bring my homework, and I've got a few texts from the rest of Eclipse asking if I'm alright. I responded to them, saying I'm fine, but I'm sure they know what happened. There are a few videos online already, but I haven't bothered to watch them. Mostly because experiencing it once is more than enough, but also because I'm scared of the comments. I don't want to read them.

It's times like this when I'm thanking my lucky stars that Moth doesn't have social media. He doesn't need to know that his boyfriend is the biggest loser in school and that all the times I told him I was doing okay, I was lying. Besides, he won't need any more incentive to break up with me once I tell him about what happened.

I told him to call me during lunch. I didn't want to ruin the rest of his day, but I know I've held it in long enough. It's starting to feel like a lie and I hate how guilty I feel every time I hear him tell me how much he loves me.

My heart races in my chest when I hear my phone ring. I look down at it and take a deep breath when 'Ken' pops up.
I answer it quickly, not wanting it to ring any longer. What am I supposed to say to him?

"Hey." I hear a deep sigh on the other end, making me frown. "What's wrong?"

"You've been dodging me for two days, being secretive about what you've been doing, and now you're answering the phone with the most depressed 'hey' that's ever come out of your mouth. This isn't a happy call, is it?"

I stay silent for a minute, trying to rake through my brain for the right thing to say. He waits patiently, but after a minute I realize there's never going to be a right way to say this because no matter how I phrase it, it still happened.

"Bash kissed me at the dance."

It's his turn to go silent now, not letting me hear anything but his disappointed huff. "Okay."

I pause, wondering if he'd heard me correctly. "I let him."

"What am I supposed to say?" He asks sarcastically, shuffling a bit on the other end. "Do you want me to be angry with you? Are you expecting me to yell and cry and dump you or something? I can't just force myself to stop loving you, so I'm kinda stuck here."

I purse my lips when they start trembling and blink back my tears. He's stuck with me? "I'm sorry. I didn't tell him that I wanted to. He just did it and I froze. I told him I didn't like him, but I didn't know what to do."