Chapter Eight- Best Day Ever

Chapter Eight-

Frankie

"Swear you'll cover for me?" I confirm with Will as I open his window. I locked my door so it wouldn't be hard to just pretend that I was lying in there asleep. Will is the only person who lives here that knows where I'll be.

"I swear. Just tap on the window when you get back. Be careful, Frankie. I know that kid isn't as bad as he seems, but he gets into a lot of trouble." Will reaches out to ruffle my hair, making me pull back.

"I'll be fine. I'm not a baby anymore."

"I know, Frankie. You say that like every day." He groans before showing me where to put my foot to find the first step. "But if anyone ever hurts you, it's my duty as your big brother to beat the crap out of them."

I smile softly and climb out of his window, moving down a couple of steps. "Thank you, Will."

"No problem."

He shuts his window as I climb down the ladder, my feet finally touching the ground. I peek in the window to make sure nobody is in the living room before walking past it and starting to run down the road. The further I get, the more I laugh. My heart is racing in my chest, but I like the feeling I get from it.

I pause for a moment to catch my breath before laughing again. I just snuck out. I smile when I get to the corner of the road, seeing Moth there.

"Hey, Barbie." He greets as always.

I smirk. Some of the football guys have called me that as an insult before, but I know he means it endearingly. I also know that he's nothing like any doll I've ever seen, but if I'm Barbie then we both know who he is. "Hey, Ken."

"I thought you got caught when you weren't answering my texts."

"Oh damn. I think I left my phone in my room." I mumble, hesitating when he hands me my helmet.

"It's fine. Will knows you're with me and he has my number. He'll text me if something is wrong."

I nod in agreement, hooking the helmet beneath my chin. I climb on behind Moth and wrap my arms around him tightly as he drives. The wind feels so cold against my face, but Moth's body heat helps keep me warm.

I've grown to enjoy the danger of his motorcycle. Of course, I'm scared of getting hurt. Statistics aren't on our side, but I'm tired of always being so scared of everything.

I'm scared of bullies, failure, and pain. I'm scared of getting in trouble or disappointing people. I'm scared of spiders, birds of prey, earthquakes, caves, getting sick, and just about everything else in the book. One thing I'm not scared of anymore is motorcycles.

I'm working on it. I've been trying to get out of my shell. I used to be scared of anything new. It was so paralyzing that it was hard for me to even start a new book once I finished one. I started rereading everything I'd already read just because I was scared of starting a new one and not liking it.

I don't like being that way. I don't like holding back and limiting myself so much just because of fear. I want to enjoy what's in front of me. Moth shows me how to do that. He shows me how to live in the moment and appreciate everything life gives us. He makes me love the idea of change and growth.

I laugh softly when he hits a small bump and tilt my head up to feel the air rushing across my face. I open my eyes and look up, seeing the streetlights and skyscrapers lighting up like stars. I hold my breath, staring at all of the lights. I never realized how beautiful this city is. I guess that's the difference between looking down at the concrete and looking up at the sky.