Chapter Twelve- The 80's

Chapter Twelve-

Moth

I was scared when I got a text from Frankie's phone this morning. I thought he forgot that we can't text, but Sawyer is okay with us being together now. I don't know all of the details, but I know it has something to do with Teagan.

As soon as I heard that, I started scheming. I was talking to Andrew the other day about Frankie's stupid dance and how I don't want to go. He told me that it's never a good thing to be selfish.

Andrew and I are a lot alike. We both worry about if we're good people or not. We both have sweet and down-to-earth guys who love us, and neither of us could tell you why. I'm distant and selfish. I only do things I want to do and I hate the idea of compromising. He explained that sometimes that's the best thing to do to show your partner you love them.

I love Frankie. I was thinking about myself too much. I was only considering what I liked and didn't like instead of how this dance, no matter how stupid, is important to him. I want to show him that I care about the things that are important to him.

I got together some clothes to make the outfit Judd Nelson wore in The Breakfast Club, borrowed Caspian's dad's old boombox, and had Jonis help me make a cassette tape with Frankie's favorite 80's love song on it. I'm welcome at his house now, so the final touch is just driving there.

"Moth," Fizzle calls to me before I can leave the apartment.

I stop and hold back a sigh as I turn towards him. I don't reply. I settle for looking at him with a raised brow to ask what he wants.

"Good luck. I know it doesn't mean much, but I think you're charming."

"Thanks."

I leave the house and start driving to Frankie's, feeling my nerves bubble up. I ignore them. Ignoring my nerves and anxiety is common for me since I play music. I always get scared to go on stage. I always worry about sharing something so close to me with people and how they might react to it, but once I'm there, it's like nothing else matters. I'd die to do that for the rest of my life. It's my dream to play my music for people who will understand and be touched by it.

I pull up outside of his house, thanking the heavens that his siblings aren't out here when I do. They're all blabbermouths that would ruin the surprise. Well, all of them but Julian. I don't know why I'm so drawn to that kid, but I love the understanding we have. We don't need to speak to each other to know that we're friends. I can just give him a look and we can both feel the respect between us.

I get off my bike and walk to the yard, making sure I'm right in front of Frankie's bedroom window. I look around for a moment before finding a pebble on the ground. I pick it up and toss it at his window to make a small tap.

I breathe in deeply, pressing play before holding the boombox over my head like in one of his favorite 80's movies. 'In Your Eyes' by Peter Gabriel starts playing loudly. The music is loud enough for everyone in the house to hear.

I see Julian and Will both peek at me out of their windows, but it takes a moment for Frankie to open his blinds and look at me. His eyes widen when he sees me. He opens his window with a big smile, popping his head out. "What are you doing?"

I clear my throat and raise my voice as loud as I can to ask over the smooth sound of the music. "Franklin William Grayson, will you go to the 80's dance with me?"

Frankie smiles even wider, and shuts the window, making me tilt my head. Was that a 'no'? I put the boombox on the ground and turn towards the door, letting out a sigh of relief when Frankie practically busts through it.