Chapter Twenty Seven- Apology

Frankie

I walk into Moth's room, smiling at the comforting feeling of being in his room again. I was avoiding it while I was gone, scared that it would make me sad to see all of his things without him here.

His mom should be out of rehab within a few months, so his dad agreed to cover the mortgage until then. The band still practices here and once he's eventually taken back to California, I might spend more time here too. I'm always invited over. I just typically decline.

I put my things down and sit in the bed, running my fingers over the copy of Into the Wild I read. I take the speaker by his bed and connect my phone to it, starting to play my favorite song.

I stand up and smile, closing my eyes and moving around the room as the gentle guitar and drum play a short intro in the beginning. I smile at the sound of her voice when she begins to sing and dance comfortably, letting myself move to the beat. I'm usually so reserved, but Moth dances with me like he couldn't care less how stupid we look.

I take a deep breath and sing the next line, laughing softly at how much it reminds me of him. "We're driving down the road. I wonder if you know I'm trying so hard not to get caught up now, but you're just so cool. Run your hands through your hair, absentmindedly making me want you."

I jump when I hear a guitar strumming, whipping around with red cheeks as he sings along. "And I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and drag me headfirst, fearless. And I don't know why, but with you, I'd dance in a storm in my best dress, fearless."

I laugh softly and walk closer to him. If he were anyone else, I'd be completely embarrassed, but I'm learning that I can trust that Moth doesn't mind how dorky or girly I am.

I put my hand on the guitar strings to keep him from playing and lean in to peck his lips. "You like Taylor Swift."

"No, but my boyfriend does."

"Learning the words for me is one thing, but I know you take longer to learn the guitar part. You like her music."

Moth puts the guitar down and places his hands on my hips to pull me closer. I put my hands on his chest as his sneak under my shirt to touch my back. They're cold, but I missed being close to him.

"Maybe a little bit, but I like you more." He insists, smirking as his hands trail lower to squeeze my ass.

I lean in to kiss his neck, trying to hide the smug look on my face as I speak. "Maybe you should do that again when we're naked."

He laughs softly and walks me to the bed, letting me fall back on it before sitting next to me. "We might have to rain check on the getting naked part if you're serious about getting a tattoo."

"I am." I pull my shirt up to my chin, staring down at my exposed chest as Moth walks around the room to get ready to start. "Sawyer's going to be mad when he finds out."

Moth pulls latex gloves on and opens a package to take out the individually wrapped needle. He sanitizes it as well, looking down at me with a raised brow. "Are you sure about this? I don't recommend it. I'm not a professional or anything. I tattoo myself because it's my body and if I fuck up, it's not a big deal, but-"

"I'm sure."

He takes the stencil he drew and looks at my chest, pressing a kiss to it before putting the transfer paper on. When he pulls it off, I look down at the delicate little moth in a small spot on the right side of my torso.

I never thought I'd get a tattoo and still don't like them very much, but I've grown a lot in the time I've spent with him and all of our friends. I want these memories to be permanent.