Chapter Ten- Foolproof

Chapter Ten-

Moth

Frankie wasn't here this morning. Considering he's had perfect attendance since 2nd grade, it's concerning. I know it's because of me. I can't help but notice the nasty looks I'm getting from Will. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to jump me yet, but his coach is cracking down on him about getting violent. Will tends to pop off easily, and almost always resorts to fighting when he gets angry.

Will was on the 'Let's hate Moth' train before I even met anyone else in their family. He seemed to be warming up to me more recently, but after the dumb mistakes I made the other night, I'm not surprised they all hate me now. Everyone except Julian probably. I love that kid so much. Sometimes I think about him and wish he was my little brother instead of Frankie's.

I hate that the night ended like that. It was supposed to be about showing him how much I love him. Instead, it was about his family hating me and me sending him a fake breakup text. I should've answered his calls or responded again but I know Sawyer would be hovering like a hawk. Teagan seems much cooler, but he tends to let Sawyer take the reins with the older kids. Sometimes I think Sawyer bullies him into staying silent the same way he bullies the kids into listening to everything he says.

Frankie has tried to explain why Sawyer is so controlling, overbearing, and high-strung. I know he's been taking care of the kids since he was my age. He was alone for a long time so he finds it difficult to accept help from people even when he desperately needs it.

Part of me thinks he resents them. He talks about what he did for them like it's something they owe him for. I know he doesn't mean to make them feel like they owe him for the choices he made, but I know that's how Frankie feels.

I sigh, leaning against the lockers as I wait for Frankie. He always walks this way to get from calculus to book club. I just need to catch him when his brother isn't looking.

"Nice shirt, loser. Where'd you get it? The dumpster?" Mason comments as he and some of the football guys walk by.

I look down at my shirt. There are some holes in it and stains that didn't come out in the washer, but a shirt is a shirt. I don't care how it looks. I ignore their comments, holding my breath when I see Frankie coming down the hallway.

Mason smacks the books out of his hands as he walks by, laughing with his friends as they pass him. One of them kicks his textbook further down the hall, making my hands itch to beat the crap out of them, but I take a deep breath and try to stay calm. I can't jump to his defense when I know Will might see and get suspicious about us.

Frankie huffs softly and crouches down to pick the books up. He stands up and turns to walk down the hall to grab the last one, but stops in his tracks when Bash hands it to him. He says something that makes Frankie smile and I pout. I don't like him flirting with Frankie that way. He swears it's friendly, and Frankie is constantly reassuring me, but he's too sweet and naive to see when someone is trying to get in his pants.

I see how Bash looks at him. I see him trail his eyes all over Frankie when he's not looking. I see the little glances and smirks. I hear the banter. I know what a crush looks like and it's obvious to me. After figuring out how Frankie functions, I think he knows too. He just ignores it. It's not that Frankie only sees the best in people. He just ignores his intuition. He chooses not to see the things he wishes weren't true.

Bash reaches out to brush his thumb over Frankie's cheek, saying something else that makes Frankie blush and take a small step back. They talk for a few more minutes before Bash heads another way and Frankie continues down the hall. I open the door to the janitor's closet and slip in, waiting for him to walk by.