Chapter Seventeen- Motives

Chapter Seventeen-

Frankie

Moth left over the weekend. We did our goodbyes the night before, but he texted me when he was leaving. Everything feels different now. I don't want to be here. I hate walking through these hallways without him following after me and making flirty comments. I hate feeling like I have to brave the world on my own without my partner in crime.

I didn't want this. I wish I would've just tried harder to follow Sawyer's rules. I hate what he did, but I do understand why. I know he thinks he's doing the right thing, but it feels like he's stealing away the things that make me happy.

I miss Moth because I love him, but being at school makes me realize that I miss having someone to protect me too. He never let anyone treat me badly while he was around, but he's gone now. I guess that makes me easy prey.

"Watch where you're going, Princess. You might bump into somebody." Mason teases, slamming his shoulder into mine which makes me stumble backward.

His friend smacks the books out of my hands, making me sigh. I'm so tired of this. They're so immature. I ignore their actions and crouch down, reaching out to pick up one of the textbooks. When another friend of his kicks it down the hallway, I huff and stand up again.

They all highfive, laughing with each other which makes my blood boil. I glare and shout after them. "What is your problem?"

Mason turns around and raises a brow, challenging me. He walks closer and puts his hand on my chest to shove me against the lockers. This is the same position we were in the first time he kissed me. I'm sure he can tell that's what I'm thinking about because his eyes narrow threateningly.

"You got something to say to me, Barbie?"

Hearing that name come from his lips in such a malicious way makes me want to punch him. I won't let him taint it or turn it into an insult. "Don't call me that. There's a lot I could say, so maybe you should lay off. Just leave me alone."

He moves his hand up to wrap around my neck loosely. He's not choking me but the position alone is enough to make the fear flood my body. He leans in close, pressing his lips against my ear.

"I'd hold my tongue if I were you. If you even think of talking about what happened between us, I'll cut it out of your head and mail it to your little boyfriend as a Christmas gift. Don't act tough, Frankie. I could kill you." He pulls away and brushes a piece of my hair off of my shoulder, looking at me with the most hateful expression I've seen on someone before.

I don't know what I did to him to make him hate me so much, but I feel paralyzed when he looks at me like that. It's not just that he could kill me. It's that I think he would if he wanted to.

I stand still, my back still against the lockers as he smirks at me and walks away, his friends laughing with him again. Once they're down the hall, I release the breath I was holding and crouch down to pick up the books I dropped.

When a hand reaches out to give me the one that was kicked down the hall, I look up and smile.

"They're giving you a hard time again?" Sebastian asks, grinning down at me. I get to my feet and take the book from him.

"Yeah. I wish they'd just leave me alone, but thanks for getting it for me. Those guys are assholes." I mutter, making Bash's eyes widen.

"I think this is the first time I've heard you say a curse word," He informs me, starting to walk with me down the hallway. "And I've been talking with the student council and the principal about having more strict rules and repercussions for bullying. I know a lot of people in this school feel like there's nothing they can do to prevent themselves from being tormented every day. It sucks."