Chapter 36: Failed Attempt

Oh, things will be so much easier once this is all over, Ivy's monster cooed. It strode up to a projection screen, a slideshow already prepared. A fancy script sprawled across a pastel cloudy background. It read "Ways the World Will be Better Without You!"

Let us start with Exhibit One, the monster said as it clicked forward into the slide. "Your School" was the heading. No one is really going to miss you. I mean you've been going to school there since you were a baby, and no one would even notice if you suddenly disappeared from their lives. So, the monster clicked its tongue, they clearly won't be affected by this. As for your teachers, well, we both know Ms. Scarlet will be relieved to no longer have to deal with your insubordination. A photo of Ms. Scarlet appeared on the screen, her eye right frozen mid-twitch.

Exhibit Two, the monster continued, the words "The Witherby's" flowed across the new cheerfully colored slide. This one is full of potential, it salivated with a ravenous wiggle. First, there are Mr. and Mrs. Witherby. You know, dear ole' Alice and Braxton. Sure, they're wealthy as shit, but after tonight they'll finally be free to enjoy their lives without some pathetic human freeloading off of the. Ivy's monster paused, allowing its words to sink in. And of course, we can't talk about the Witherby's without talking about our lover boy. The monster feigned to faint as it brought its black amorphous hand to its matching forehead. B... Ever since you entered his life, you've only been a burden to him. He's much better off without in his life. I tried to warn you, but you just couldn't listen. But that's all gonna be okay too, because once you're gone, not only will B be free of you, but he and Ashley will no longer have you to mess up their relationship. If only you had listened to me sooner, you could have ended this way before you ever became a homewrecker.

The monster gave a shrug, but hey that was then and this is now. And speaking of now, let's take a look at our final exhibit for why the world will be better with you not in it. It clicked the presentation forward revealing the monster's final blow to Ivy's resolve: "Your Parents."

You can't pretend you didn't know they were gonna appear on this list. Sure, they're your parents, and every parent is gonna be sad losing their kid, Ivy's monster said dismissively, but once they get over that grieving, their lives will become so much easier. First, there's your mother. She's got a new happy and normal family. The last thing she wants to do is deal with her mentally ill daughter from her failure of a marriage. And last, but certainly not least...is your father.

A sickly ominous grin peeled across the monster's face. I know Father Dearest is clinging to the last of his marbles, but those few marbles are probably haunted by that last interaction you had with him. You remember that day, right Ivy? Oh, it was like yesterday for me. The monster looked dreamily into the distance as it proceeded to paint an image of that traumatic day for Ivy. There you two are; Your father on the hospital bed wrapping his arms around you as the two of you shed truly heartwarming tears, the monster belittles. And what do you go and do? You tell your father that his darling little girl has the same nasty little problem he has. Ivy's monster gives a dramatic pout. I can still hear him now, crying out your name as he lost it in his room, throwing his shit everywhere.

Not my Ivy.

Not Ivy.

Ivy.

"Ivy!"

"Ivy!"

Suddenly a beam of light shone directly in Ivy's face, her eyes burning at the sudden assault of light after being surrounded in darkness.