Chapter 4: Framed Memories

"Ivy, did you hit your head when you jumped in the water?" B sounded concerned.

"No..." Ivy said confused "Why?"

"Cause I think you forgot where you live. It feels like we've been driving forever, and still, no house."

"It isn't so fun now is it?" lectured Ivy. "And no, I did not forget where I live. Your stupid adventure to the middle of nowhere is the reason why it's taking so long. Besides, we're almost there. It's right down this road."

"It is? Ivy, there isn't a single house here for miles." B motioned to the never-ending woods that lined the road. He looked ahead but didn't see any sign of a driveway, never mind a house.

"Here it is! Told you I knew where I was going!" Ivy whipped the steering wheel to the left, smashing B into the car door. On accident, of course.

"God Ivy, you could warn a guy! I don't feel like dying two times in one day, thank you." B rubbed his hand against the back of his head.

"Wow, you sure are grouchy when you're hungry. What happened to 'smartass B'?" Ivy smirked just as B would have done.

"Just get me some food. I'm starving!"

Ivy's house was only a quarter of a mile from the road. Just like the main road, her driveway was surrounded by trees. The trees hid the house completely from view until Ivy pulled up right in front of it. The house was a small little stone cottage, with a vibrant blue door and shutters. There were two floors, and at the very top lay a red roof. Out front, there was a lone tree that stuck out from the others. Hanging from it was a beaten old tire swing, along with a half-built treehouse.

"What's the story with that?" B pointed his thumb to the unfinished treehouse.

"Dad was too busy to finish it," Ivy said dismissively. "How about I get us some food? I'll get you some clean clothes too. I think my dad has some stuff that might fit you.

The wooden steps of the front door creaked as the two climbed them. Ivy opened the front door but hesitated before entering the house. "Why don't you wait here, while I get everything. I'd let you in, but the place is a mess" she added nonchalantly. Once inside the house, Ivy shut the door behind her, blocking B's view. Turning around, Ivy was greeted by the entryway that had a narrow set of stairs that led upstairs. To the right lay the open living room, where Ivy had spent many a weekend watching the Harry Potter movies on repeat.

Working her way down the hallway by the stairs, Ivy saw the collection of family pictures lining the walls. They ranged from when she was a baby all the way to last week when she received an award for getting on the honor roll for the millionth time in a row. Ivy couldn't help but pause as she looked at one of the pictures of her and her father. Five-year-old Ivy was hanging from her father's back as they stood on the top of a mountain. Both Ivy and her father were grinning from ear to ear in the picture. Sadly, Ivy couldn't look at this picture with the same happiness, because all she could think of was the person behind the camera. Forever hidden in the background, but never forgotten. Tearing her eyes away from the photo, aware that B was still waiting outside, Ivy continued her trek to the kitchen.

As she entered the room, she saw the back of a balding man sitting at the table. "Hey, Dad," Ivy said cautiously, afraid she might startle him.

Despite her efforts, her father still jumped with fright at the sound of her voice. "Wh--what? Who's there?" he asked nervously as he whipped around in his chair. Holding her breath, Ivy waited for her father's confused stare to turn into one of recognition. Once his nerves subsided, Ivy's father broke into the same heartwarming smile she loved. "Oh, Ivy, it's you. You scared me. I almost didn't recognize you, honey. God, you are growing up so fast." And just like that, he calmly got up from his chair and wrapped Ivy up in a big bear hug. "How was school? Are you hungry? I could make you something."