Chapter 23: Play Pretend

When Ivy awoke the next morning, she could already sense a routine developing. Like the day before, B casually stood by the front door, his mouth full of food, and his hand holding a freshly made coffee for her. After all their car rides together, B quickly learned that Ivy was not one for idle chit-chat in the morning. Until her coffee was at least half gone, Ivy was a zombie to the rest of the world. As a result, the two spent their morning car rides listening to whatever pop songs were crowding for a spot on the top one-hundred list.

The closer they got to school, the more Ivy prepared for the torrential shitstorm Zoey had brewing. Unlike Elijah, who let B get away with punching him, Ivy was sure Zoey would not do the same for her. As soon as she walked through the school doors, she expected Mr. Kidd and an army of her other teachers to be standing in a line of disappointment, barring her from going anywhere but the office. Relieved when she only saw the usual collection of half-awake students shuffling through the hallway, Ivy made her way to her locker.

Her fingers mindlessly twirled the dial, the locker combination ingrained in her brain after using it only a million times over the last four years. When she pushed the release latch with her index finger, she felt it grow more restrictive. Leaning her shoulder into the locker door, Ivy focused all her strength on the one knuckle of her finger. Unsuccessful, Ivy had only managed to trap the latch in a no man's land open and closed.

"Need some help?"

A wave of shivers trickled up her spine at the sound of his voice. Pushing her back against the jammed locker, Ivy turned around.

"What do you want, Elijah?" her voice was short like she hoped this conversation would be.

"Don't be stubborn, V" he emphasized his old nickname for her as he gently shoved her out of the way. Suddenly, he was smashing his shoulder into Ivy's locker like it was a sealed door. Vanquished by his strength, the latch released along with the door.

Looking for an escape, Ivy busied herself with the various books and scattered papers within her locker. Sadly, Elijah would not let her get away that easily.

"I don't even get a 'thank you?" his voice whispering with flirtation.

Ivy clutched her math textbook to her chest as she slammed the locked door shut. Turning to face Elijah, her eyebrows were deeply furrowed.

"Thanks..." she mumbled hesitantly. She felt like an injured gazelle waiting for the inevitable pounce of the bloodthirsty lion.

Elijah leaned against with wall of lockers with a confidence akin to a wealthy king. As he attempted to liquefy Ivy's insides with his smoldering gaze, Ivy merely stared back, her lips pursed in disinterest. Clearly, Elijah was not used to this reaction from girls, for Ivy saw the briefest flash of shock cross his face before his perfectly practiced smile took its place. Ivy remembered when she would have fallen for that smile. But after the party, every memory of him was tainted. Even his smile, which used to make her knees weak, now looked like the slimy grin of a predator. The fact that he could so nonchalantly ignore how he assaulted Ivy made her even more nervous to be around him. It reeked of familiarity; like this was a territory that he had not only walked before but frequently visited. In just a few days Ivy saw Elijah transform from the school's heartthrob to its villain.

With a frustrated sigh and matching eye-roll, Ivy spoke, "Again, I ask: What. Do. You. Want?"

Elijah gave a playful chuckle before answering. "Ah, don't be that way, Ivy."

"Are you sure Zoey's okay with you talking to me?" Ivy asked, hoping the mention of Zoey would end the conversation.

"She didn't want to come into school with her face all fucked up. Besides, I wanted to see how you were doing after yesterday." He attempted to flash Ivy a charming look of concern, but Ivy was unphased.