Chapter 28: Fun and Games

By the end of the third and final course, Ivy felt like a beached whale. Her dress, which comfortably hung from her body, now constricted her bulging belly. "I don't think I could eat another thing for at least a week after tonight." She contentedly rubbed her stomach in circles and closed her eyes in satiated bliss.

"You know there's still cake, right?" asked B as he took in the sight before him.

"Ughh," groaned Ivy at the thought of another bite of food.

If Ivy hadn't been in a food coma, she would have noticed B's grow wide as he looked behind her. "Hey, uh Ivy," B said tentatively.

Ivy whined in frustration. "Can't a girl digest her food in peace?"

"I just thought you'd want to know that Anastasia Prescott is coming over here."

Instantly, Ivy's attention was stolen from her bloated belly as she spun around in her chair. Across the room, she could see Alice leading the famous bride towards her table. A million questions and conversation starters zoomed through Ivy's mind as she thought about what she might say. Like a broken record, Ivy mumbled, "Oh my god" over and over again."

"Ivy, relax. She's just a person."

"Yeah, just a person who practically shuts down the whole internet every time she releases a new song."

But Ivy's endless possibility of conversations with the celebrity where stopped in their tracks when Alice arrived at the table. "Anastasia, this is my son's friend, Ivy, that I was telling you about."

With a smile that made her eyes crinkle shut, Anastasia wrapped Ivy into a big hug. "It's so nice to meet you," she said, her voice radiating joy. "Alice has told me so much about you! I hope you're enjoying yourself tonight."

Still stunned by the fact that her musical idol had just hugged her, Ivy stared at Anastasia, her mouth opening and closing like a goldfish gasping for breath. In an attempt to bring Ivy back down to Earth, B quickly elbowed her in the ribs. Blinking away her starstruck trance, Ivy finally found her voice. "Y--Ye--Yes. It's beautiful."

When Anastasia laughed, It was like Ivy was a toddler telling an adult something cute. Seeking to redeem herself in the bride's eyes, she attempted to recollect herself but instead began to spew word vomit. "I love all of your music, well most of it, not to say you have some bad songs, but the ones that I've heard I really liked." Nervousness struck again as Ivy fangirled over the singer.

It was abundantly clear that Ivy was not the first fan to have this reaction upon meeting Anastasia. Brushing off Ivy's neurotic rambling with a kindhearted laugh she wished them a wonderful evening before she left to talk with the other guests.

"Wow, that couldn't have gone worse," mumbled Ivy.

"I'm sure she's had much worse experiences with fans. Don't beat yourself up about it." He gave her a playful punch in an attempt to lighten her mood. Little did he know, that Ivy's mental monster had taken the meeting as his opportunity to resurface. You're so pathetic. You see her over there with her friends? She's probably telling them about how much you embarrassed yourself just then. All you had to do was tell her you liked her music, and even you fucked that up. Great job, loser. Although B couldn't hear the negative comments running through Ivy's mind, it was apparent her mood was quickly souring.

"Hey," he stepped in front of Ivy and lifted her chin with his finger, "how about we take a little break from the wedding?"

Afraid she might crack if she spoke, Ivy silently nodded.