Chapter 21: Fact or Fiction

Ivy stood before B's bedroom; her fist frozen in mid-knock. She was abundantly aware that this was the first time she would see his room. For some reason, Ivy felt like she was about to be introduced to a more intimate side of B. A person's bedroom is their sanctuary from the rest of the world. It's the one place where they can feel their most vulnerable, and she felt the crossing of this line with B should be honored, if only briefly. With a deep breath, Ivy rapped her hand against the wooden door.

"It's open!" B's voice sounded from within.

Exhaling, Ivy turned the knob and entered the room. Instantly she thought she had teleported into a lush jungle. Her gaze taking in the surrounding walls Ivy discovered the entire perimeter of the room was lined with potted plants. Even the head of the bed was framed by a collection of cubical shelving that housed just as many smaller plants. The dark green coloring of B's walls only added to the forest feel of his room.

Once she had regained her sense of location, Ivy noticed B sprawled across his bed, his chocolate brown comforter and matching pillows cradling his head. He held a black Nintendo Switch in his hands, his tongue sticking out as his fingers aggressively tapped and toggled. Not wanting to risk the wrath for distracting a focused gamer, Ivy quietly stood in the doorway her eyes shyly taking in the little details of himself hidden amongst the leaves and petals. She wasn't shocked to discover that he kept his room in a similar disarray to his car. Various heaps of clothes scattered his wooden floors, and a shirt sleeve grasped for escape from under his bed, which Ivy could only assume hid a worse mishmash of clutter. Soon Ivy's shy searching became voracious. Besides the clothes and plants, there was nothing personal in B's room.

Although Ivy had a purpose for the abundance of photos in her house, she still found it odd to see a room so starkly lacking them. It's not like she expected him to have a bunch of photos of him and his parents, but she thought she would at least see some photos of him and his life before he moved to Lisbon.

Unlike Ivy, who had known her classmates since she was in diapers, B had joined their class freshman year. It was probably the only reason he had managed to keep his wealth a secret. With his mansion hidden away in the woods on a back road, it was doubtful anyone from school would discover it. That meant the only way someone would learn the truth was if they were invited over, and considering no one even knew B's real name, Ivy was confident she was the first.

Ivy was still pondering his previous life when she heard him clear his throat. Blinking herself back to the present, Ivy focused on B, his Switch resting beside him.

"Sorry, I don't have anywhere else to sit." He brought his knees up to his chest, his back resting against the headboard, as he made space for Ivy to sit at the foot of the bed.

Immediately Ivy felt her heart race. Flashes of Elijah drunkenly pawing at her body rushed through her mind.

B instantly recognized Ivy's hesitation and quickly leaped off the bed. "Give me a second." Without another word, he exited his room.

Ivy stood in a daze of confusion. Did I do something wrong?

Awakened by her growing discomfort, Ivy's mental monster began its onslaught. Of course, you did something wrong. You always do something wrong. And you know why? Because you're wrong. Everything about you is wrong and broken. You're just a burden.

Luckily, Ivy was provided an escape when B returned, his arms wrapped around a navy blue ottoman that he placed next to her. With a playfully dramatic flourish of his hand, B motioned for Ivy to sit. She couldn't prevent the slight smile that tugged at the corner of her lips, despite the guilt she felt for his accommodation. Satisfied once she sat down, B allowed himself to take a seat at the foot of the bed.