Chapter 28-InLaws

Here is a bit longer of a chapter. Enjoy! Pic of Denise aka monsterinlaw on the side

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 28

Three weeks later…

Jennifer’s POV

Mom has stood vigil over Danny since his accident. The police said that the other driver had blown through a red light and hit Danny’s door. The doctors finally came to us the night after his accident. They said that things were touch and go and would probably be that way for awhile and that they had to put him into a medication coma so his body could gain strength. His body on the left side had taken much of the impact, luckily his car was old, which meant it was made of real steel instead of the crap they make cars out of now, or they said he would already be dead. He was banged up pretty bad they said. His left arm and leg were broken in multiple places, he had bruises everywhere, his left foot was crushed so badly they said even if he wakes he may never walk without some help such as crutches again. This caused panick, sadness, and anger in me. The person who hit him should be in a lot of trouble, because they choose to break the law my brother has to suffer possibly for the rest of his life.

The wedding is on hold. Marty said he wouldn’t go through with a wedding for me to remember it as a sad event with Danny being hurt. He knew from us talking before about wedding plans that I wanted Danny to walk me down the aisle. Danny is the closest thing to a dad that I ever remember having. I remember my dad some, but he left pretty early on in my life and Danny just took over. Our days are filled with hospital food, coffee and bad cable tv shows and a lot of sadness. Mother and I have run out of tears to cry. We all talk to Danny, but we don’t know if he can hear us. The doctors said that the medication was lifted and the coma is now up to his body to come out of. With all of the technology and progress the medical field has made you would think they could tell us when the hell he will wake up.

Tricia comes to visit him everyday. She refuses to tell me what happened between them, but its almost as if she feels some guilt for him being in the accident. When Tricia shows up is the only times when mom leaves the hospital to go home and shower and sleep. Ive told mom that we can stay with him while she goes home, but she wont hear it she thinks we should be spending time together as a couple as much as possible before the wedding. The only reason I have made it through all of this mess was because of Marty. Without his support I would’ve lost my mind. He has been a rock not only for me but for momma as well.

Last week, Marty’s parents invited me for dinner. That was a disaster. His mother absolutely loathes me. I am not sure if she just looked at me and instantly hated me or what. I mean its not like this is the first time of them meeting me. I have been around forever. Maybe its just me being with her baby boy that she doesn’t like. Why do I think that? Lance took Marty to their den to discuss some business and his mother had some business to discuss with me, unbenonst to myself and Marty and most likely even his father didn’t know about her conversation with me.

“Why don’t we retire poolside, darling,” she said without looking to me for an answer. So I clambored behind her trying to keep up. She motioned for me to sit at a patio table and she sat beside me.

“We should have a talk,” she said. I nodded.

“How much?” She asked. I looked to her confused.

“How much what?” I asked. She gave me an exasperated look clearly getting annoyed with me.

“How much money do you want?” she asked.

“I don’t want any money,” I said getting angry at her question.

“Look I realize that Martin is quite the catch, especially for someone like you. He has real potential, that boy, but he needs a society minded woman. To become a success like his father, he needs someone more suited him. You must realize by looking at our home and other things that we acquire that we are from different worlds. You would only embarrass him at high society functions where he will need to be. He needs a wife that takes care of herself and knows how to act properly with his business associates. If you really care about him as you seem to try to say you do you will let him go and let him be with his own type of people. People who would propel his career, not drag him down,” she said as she was checking each fingernail. There it is. From the time that I realized that my family was poor, I also had the epiphany that even if Marty ever liked me that I wasn’t of his status and that I wasn’t good enough for him.

“Denise, I am sorry that you feel that I would be an embarrassment to my future husband, but that really is his decision and none of your damn business. If you ever want to see your future grandchildren you have a lot of making up to do for this. I may come from low finances, but I have more class than your hundred dollar manicure could ever buy you,” I said. My nerves were nearly jumping out of my skin, but I managed to say all of that with a calm voice and she looked taken aback that I would have the balls to say anything back to her. Standing up I walked back into the house found the den.

“Marty,” I said. He and his father both looked up at me smiling.

“Yes, sweetheart?” he said finally noticing my mood, and his smile faltered as did his fathers.

“We should go, I have over stayed my welcome,” I said.

“Like hell you have!” Lance spoke up standing from his chair. I raised my hand.

“There’s no use Lance, she will never like me. She feels I am beneath her. Just know when we have our own home, you are welcome anytime, but please don’t bring her with you,” I said to him, noticing the shock resonate on his face as well.

“That seems fair,” he said shrugging his shoulders while Marty looked madder than hell.

“Before you say anything to her that you will regret later, lets just go,” I said to Marty. Without so much as a grunt he walked to me, grabbed my hand turned to his father with a nod and we walked out of there.

The fact that he was willing to stand up to his mother for me made me love him even more. While I hate what his mother did it did make me question myself for the first time since Marty and I got together. Did I do the right thing by agreeing to marry him? Do I need to let him go so he can reach his full potential? The selfish part of me said hell no, he is mine. The part that loves Marty so much that I would do anything for him says I should let him go so he can meet some incredible piece of arm candy that knows how to navigate the circles of social whirlpool of society. Will I drag him down?

-----------------------------------------------------------------