Chapter 1- Reminiscing

The pic on the side is Jenn as a little girl hugging her brother Daniel :)

Chapter 1

Jenn began her familiar walk to the open field behind her home. It takes her exactly five minutes to get to her hideout. She has been coming to this hideout since she was six years old. That was 12 years ago when her family moved into Landon Jones’s rental property. Two weeks later, she met Marty Jones, a boy her brother brought home with him after school. Jenn hadn’t ever met a boy that didn’t gross her out. As far as she was concerned boys were mean and icky. Her entire opinion on boys changed the day she met Martin Jones.

She had been playing in the back yard when all of these boys came out there. They all seemed to be bigger than her. Not one of them even acknowledged that she was in the back yard as they all took off to the back field to play football.

“Wait Danny! I wanna play too,” she yelled while chasing after her brother and the other three boys. Daniel’s running came to a halt as he turned on his sister. He wanted to tell her that she couldn’t play with the boys because they were all so much bigger than her that she would get hurt, but he couldn’t be all wimpy in front of the guys he had just met as the new kid when they seemed to want to be his friends. If he wimped out and was nice to his sister these guys would probably laugh him off as a sissy and never be his friends.

“Jenn, go away! We don’t want a girl playing with us!” Daniel yelled hatefully at her. Big, fat tears welled up in Jenn’s eyes. Her brother was never mean to her; he even shared his food with her at the dinner table.

“Danny!” she wailed. Daniel just shook his head without even taking another step closer to her.

“Just go away Jenn!” he yelled again at his baby sister as he turned and the boys began running for the open field again. She went chasing after them again without even watching where she was going and tripped over a rock and scraped her knee.

“Ow!” jenn exclaimed looking up expecting her big brother to be there to take care of her, but he hadn’t even turned to look at her. Suddenly, her arm was grabbed and she looked to the side to see who had her. It was a boy much taller than she was and he had dark brown hair with just a few streaks of the same blonde that her hair was. He had brown eyes.

“You’re okay. You better go on before he yells at you again,” he said just before he hurridly ran to catch up to the group of boys who were nearly at the field now. Wow he is like the Prince Charming from the stories momma reads me Jenn thought. She snuck to the field under the radar of any of the boys to the little outcropping of pine trees that stood at the edge of the field. She hid in those pine trees and watched the boys play and cried wishing that Danny would let her play too. That is much how the next several years went. Anytime anyone upset her she went to be alone in her pine tree thicket.

Jenn sat there wiping a few tears, some sad and some happy, while smiling thinking about all the times she came to this place. Not all of those were when she was sad; she enjoyed the pine thicket for its peaceful nature. As she grew and became older she loved the privacy she got and she would sit here and write in her journal; sometimes her feelings or what happened that day or sometimes it was a sketch or short story she wrote. Since her brother and the guys had gone their separate ways after high school she would come out here when she missed them because it made her feel closer to them. She stood to begin the walk home knowing that it was getting late and she needed to get dressed for graduation.